Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting news-Raiders and Redskins ready for draft day dealing

Lavarleap56

Could be interesting.

I remember twenty years ago Gibbs made a trade for a WR with speed-- Calvin Muhammad-- with Al Davis -- who had rock hands and a bad hammy (unreported before the trade) after that Gibbs said he would never trade with Al again.

Things just come around eventually.

Any chance that we're going to make Winey the starter and trade the #2 to Cleveland for their #7 and much more? Winey isn't a big name, but neither were a lot of Bugel's players, and he played well last year.

Well, that's a far cry from the original claim of Samuels for the #2 overall pick that we debated in another thread.

Whereas the first rumor was too lopsided in favor of the Skins, this one is too lopsided in favor of the Raiders. If a deal of this nature is consummated, one would have to imagine the compensation would be somewhere in between.

Originally posted by jschlesi

Could be interesting.

I remember twenty years ago Gibbs made a trade for a WR with speed-- Calvin Muhammad-- with Al Davis -- who had rock hands and a bad hammy (unreported before the trade) after that Gibbs said he would never trade with Al again.

Things just come around eventually.

Jay Schroeder for Jim Lachey, anyone?

Using info from the following site;

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

It sure looks like his 2004 cap hit would be about the same if he were kept on the roster or if he were traded and the remainder of his rookie deal and his restructures were accelerated into the 04 cap. They wouldn't save any space in 04 but would be out from under the rest of his deal. As for Gallery being a sure thing I don't believe there is such a thing when you take a draftee and put a 15M dollar check in his hand. He may have all the ability in the world but after being set for life you just never know if the motivation for excellence will still be there.

It doesnt.

This type of deal would be along the lines of an emotional female throwing away her jewelry and all other gifts after a disagreement with her boyfriend.

If you want to get rid of him do not put yourself on the short end of a deal in doing so.

You push for a straight up deal promoting Samuels as a step below sliced bread as the next best thing as should our so called fans

All I know is that we may have given up too much compensation for Mark Brunell (3rd round pick) considering that other teams didn't even make an offer to Jacksonville, or they would have received the rights to meet with him before the free agency period began.

We overpaid for Portis considering that Bailey was considered the best in his position and despite that, we still gave up our 2nd round pick.

So this rumor, although very disheartening, wouldn't surprise me at this point. I just hope that we can stop the maddness of acquiring players by giving up so much.

Smokescreen. The promulgation of this rumor serves many purposes, the most important being it provides the Skins leverage to try to renegotiate Samuels deal and reduce his cap hit and secondly, it makes the Gints sweat and possibly give up more than necessary to get "their" guy.

Originally posted by tex

If Samuels won't restructure what choice does the team have? Not the best deal in town but it does take care of a major cap problem and brings in a top young talent, one of safest picks of this draft.

Talk about building through the draft. Gallery could step right in and be a 10-year starter.

The Gaints are the ones in trouble with this deal. To get their man (Gallery) they will have to pay a heavy price to move up to the 1st pick of the draft to snatch him from the Skins.

What is the chance of a redskins player stepping in and being a ten year starter, when we make these stupid moves. If we get Gallery, we will probably have to trade him in 3 years because his sallery is too much for the cap, just like we are in with Samuels now. This type of stuff shows pure stupidity coming from the front office. I would much rather have Samuels and a 5 pick, then 1 unproven high rated tackle. What about our defense?

I've got an idea Synder. Since Arrington was mad about his contract, that had to piss you off right? Lets trade him and say..our first rounder next year for another linebacker!!!!That would make about as much sense as this trade.

As a non-Redskin fan, I'll try to provide an outside perspective. I think the deal makes sense. Moving up from #5 to #2 is worth roughly a mid 1st-round (#18 pick) in the draft, at least according to the draft value chart: http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

If someone offered you the 18th pick in the draft for Samuels (who everyone knows has a cap-prohibitive contract at this point), you'd probably give it serious consideration.

And that's the point. Everyone here seems to think that your FO is infallible at this point when it comes to cap-management. The general consensus in the league is that the Skins overpaid for several of their FA signings this year, but y'all just seem to deflect such criticisms with the phrases ("they've said it in the past, and they've been wrong before, so they'll be wrong again." or "the cap could be HUGE or GONE in 2006").

Not so fast. I think there is some legitimacy to their point, and a trade like this would simply be a way to make the cap more manageable now and in the future. You are able to ensure continuity in talent at LT moving from Samuels to Gallery, and you give yourself more flexibility with the cap (at least in the next 2-3 years).

Now, I'm not saying this rumored trade is gonna happen, but seeing it mentioned by a publication, rather than just on a message board, at least gives it added credibility. And I KNOW y'all are excited about getting a KW2 or Sean Taylor, but I think in the long run this could help your team more.

Like I tell Cowboy fans in other forums: you can't expect to add all your talent overnight. Giving yourself cap-flexibility could be the greatest thing for Gibbs; let's face it, your D-Line is serviceable, but far from a finished product. Safety and tight end are both areas that many have said are in need of addressing. I'm not sure exactly where the other needs are, but I know there are more than those.

Again, don't fret. More likely than not this deal won't happen (my guess, at least), but if it does, you'll benefit in a different, albeit less sexy, way. And I think that in the long run, you'll agree.

Just my two cents. :2cents:

Archived