Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Easter Bunny attacked by church actors trying to make point about Easter and Christ

TC4

The reason I ask is because JW's, to my understanding, do not celebrate holidays, birthdays, etc. Correct me on this if I'm wrong, Woofer, but it's because every day is supposed to be equally important in God's eyes.

AJ, what nationally recognized holidays do you believe are not "phony"?

Originally posted by redman

The reason I ask is because JW's, to my understanding, do not celebrate holidays, birthdays, etc. Correct me on this if I'm wrong, Woofer, but it's because every day is supposed to be equally important in God's eyes.

AJ, what nationally recognized holidays do you believe are not "phony"?

That is somewhat true. Nisan 14 would be an exception - it is the only holiday that we celebrate. Jesus told us to do it, in memory of him.

First, let me say I was raised as a Catholic.

As a child I often wondered what the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus had to do with Christmas and Easter. I never received any "decent" answers.

Second, let me say that I am not trying to "rain on the parade".

Whether it is the Easter Parade, Christmas, or Thanksgiving Day parade.

Third, I am not trying to convince anyone to stop celebrating holidays.

That said, the reason that we do not celebrate holidays is that most of them have such strong roots in other religions, which are widely regarded as false, or pagan. (Does anyone still believe in the ancient Roman gods?)

Some of the holidays that otherwise seem non-religous, such as Mothers Day, we don't celebrate because we all feel that it is important to let our parents, grandparents, children and whoever know that we love them everyday, and we do not need a "special" day to give them a card or a gift.

There are some that try to tie Mother's Day to "mother worship", but I don't buy into that. I think it is a stretch. I think that all of the [insert relative here] Days are products of greeting card and flower companies marketing departments.

Birthdays are sort of a gray area for most people. It seems so harmless. But then again, why wasn't the exact date of Jesus' birth recorded? It's a natural human thing to remember the anniversary of a child's birth. It's the "celebrations" we avoid.

As for Thanksgiving, I have two thoughts. If we believe in God, we should thank him everyday.

But almost everyone I know spends that particular Thursday with friends and family, and there is plenty of turkey or ham to go around. But you did not hear that from me. ;)

I hope that everyone who reads this gets some education into what JWs believe and why.

If anyone has any more questions, please PM me.

Woofer, you seem to be a very moderate JW. I know a few JW's at work and we've often talked Bible doctrine and also about the difference's they have versus most orthodox Christian doctrine. You are the first one to ever sound like you weren't saying that if you celebrate a holiday your going to hell.

Archived