Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arizona Cardinals Observation

semiskin

I know most people think that Dennis Green wil take Larry Fitzgerald if he is there when they pick at #3, to pair him up with Anquan Boldin. But I think all of people are forgetting that they also drafted WR Bryant Johnson with the 17th pick overall last year.

Which is now leading me to think that they may actually go after say a Robert Gallery or a Sean Taylor instead of a WR. Especially if Fitzgerald is drafted by Oakland.

I represented the Cardinals in the Extremeskins mock draft and the fact of the matter is that you can't go wrong with whatever position you decide to target in first round of the draft. With 27 total team sacks a year ago, the Cards are starving for a pass rusher. Additionally, Duane Starks has missed 22 games combined the last two seasons, thus making CB a primary need for them. Their defensive tackle situation is weak, and bringing in a top DT prospect would possibly really help a guy like Wendell Bryant elevate his game. LB could use work as well with Ronald McKinnon getting a little long in the tooth at MLB, and the lack of depth at outside LB.

Offensively, they are simply lacking some playmakers. Bryant Johnson has good size, but nobody ever said that he had top notch speed. At this point, he's not necessarily the guy who will be successful at taking the pressure off Anquain Boldin, so I understand the WR approach that the Cards' front office is taking towards this year's draft. With Emmitt Smith's best days well behind him, Marcel Shipp is basically being given the starting job by default. While he is a pretty decent runner, I think some healthy competition for the starting RB job would go a long way towards helping the receivers flourish over the long haul. Finally, at QB, as high as Denny Green is on Josh McNown, the fact of the matter is that he remains unproven. Shaun King is a nice experienced player at backup, but clearly not the long term solution. Hence, taking a QB with the top pick should not be something totally ruled out.

Clearly, there are needs all over this roster. In my opinion, when this is the case you have to trade down and acquire more picks in the process.

In case you were wondering, here is how I faired with the Cards in the draft:

#18: Antwan Odom (DE)

#32: Marcus Tubbs (DT)

#37: Michael Jenkins (WR)

#40: JP Losman (QB)

#61: traded the pick away

#63: Nat Dorsey (LT)

#65: Teddy Lehman (OLB)

Acquired T.J. Duckett (RB), Ladell Betts (RB), Charles Tillman (CB), Jeremetrius Butler (CB), Mushin Muhammed (WR), and Willie Whitehead (DE/T) through trade.

Lost Duane Starks (CB), L.J. Shelton (LT) and Emmitt Smith (RB) through trade.

A creative approach for sure.

Originally posted by Drex

Well, having Cris Carter and Jake Reed already established at WR failed to prevent Green from drafting Randy Moss in 1998.

I did take that into account, but I think this situation is a little different. Both Carter and Reed were nearing the end of their careers, which is somewhat comparable with what is going on with the Raiders this year. Bolden and Johnson are onle going into their second year. And with the team they have they could upgrade in alot of other places. Such as saftey of OL.

If Green has the opportunity to draft a player of Fitzgerald's caliber at the #3 position, I truly believe he will do so. Fitzgerald would add a dynamic element to the offense and put more fans in the seats.

As for filling needs, this wouldn't be the first time Green has taken the best player available without fortifying a position of need.

I don't see Green taking a qb with the #3 selection in the draft. This is a coach, that has fielded playoff teams with resurrected qbs such as Jim McMahon, Randall Cunningham and Warren Moon. I wouldn't be shocked to see McNown perform at a fairly productive level next season.

Archived