Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants, Chargers Discuss #1

semiskin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-giants-draft&prov=ap&type=lgns

Chargers, Giants discuss trade for No. 1 draft pick

April 7, 2004

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The New York Giants, known to covet Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning, have spoken with the San Diego Chargers about obtaining the first pick in the NFL draft on April 24.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed he got a call from Giants GM Ernie Accorsi on Tuesday.

``They would like to move from four to one,'' Smith said on Wednesday. Smith wouldn't discuss specifics.

``Anything we discuss is football business between the two of us,'' Smith said.

San Diego was 4-12 last year, the same record as Oakland, Arizona and the Giants. But the Chargers got the No. 1 draft pick based on strength of schedule.

The Chargers worked out Manning and the other two highly regarded quarterbacks in the draft, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers.

But trading down and acquiring additional picks would allow San Diego to address its many other needs. The Chargers don't have a left tackle or a standout wide receiver or defensive end.

The Chargers also had the No. 1 pick four years ago and traded it to Atlanta the day before the draft. Atlanta got Michael Vick, while San Diego took LaDainian Tomlinson at No. 5. The Chargers also got receiver-returner Tim Dwight and two other picks.

Also Wednesday, Pittsburgh's Larry Fitzgerald, one of the top receivers in the draft, visited the Chargers.

``This was kind of like a recruiting visit today,'' said Fitzgerald, who met with coach Marty Schottenheimer and receivers coach James Lofton. ``It's fun. I got to out and have lunch with coach Lofton, somebody I looked up to as a child.''

I know this rumor has been discussed for the past week, but I think this the first time it has been acknowledged by one of the two teams.

Who might the Chargers draft at the #4 spot? Gallery, Winslow (he is a hometown buy)?

Originally posted by Charlie Murphaaay

Yeah, we should really fear Manning, as if he's proved anything at all at the NFL level! :rolleyes:

He could very well be a bust.

You're right there is the possibility that he could be a bust, but the odds are stacked in his favor that he won't

I'm here and am all for it as long as the Giants don't have to give San Diego the whole franchise for trading up three spots. I am hoping it will cost them the swap of first rounders, a third round pick this year and a second round pick next year. I don't really want to give up their second rounder this year. Of course, if Manning turns out to be what a lot of "experts" say he will be, I won't mind a second rounder this year so much.

Two and a half weeks and we can put all of this draft talk to rest. And I would be thrilled if the draft turns out a Manning for the Giants. :D But I'm not betting on it.

Originally posted by Charlie Murphaaay

Yeah, we should really fear Manning, as if he's proved anything at all at the NFL level! :rolleyes:

He could very well be a bust.

I agree.

Archie and Peyton might have been the only ones in the Manning family who got all the pro QB skills

Originally posted by Jimbo

New York would be a tough place for Eli to get his NFL education. Hopefully, Coughlin wouldn't be stupid enough to start him right off the bat if it were to happen.

I think the Giants have one more year before Collins' cap number goes to something like 9 mil. Regarding the Chargers, I do see K2 as a viable option for them at the 4 spot, being that he is from SD and Marty does love his TE.

As much as I wish there was no more magic in the Manning household, everything that I have heard about Eli Manning is that he has more physical skills than his brother Peyton, but people question if he is as studious. Personally, I would love for him to stay out of the NFC East.

I think the Chargers might take one of the WR's in this year draft. They could pick up Mike Williams who would feel the spot left by Boston, and he'll probably have a better attitude about it. Gallery is still right there, far and away the best OL in the draft.

I think this could be a double whammy for us. San Diego recently had a private workout with Sean Taylor, meaning he could be off the board before we can have the chance to consider. They're still smarting from losing Rodney Harrison, and Taylor would give them a younger version of Harrison back. And it's a no brainer that if NY gets the #1, Manning will be their man. Obviously not good news for the Skins. I hope this one doesn't go through.

Archived