Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

9 on 11..?

Sag

Let me show my ignorance, as I am sure there are others wondering. I've followed football most of my 55 years here on earth and played a bit, and this is the first I've heard of the 9 on 11 practice formation. Just how does this work? What offensive guys aren't used, or maybe it depends on what they're running?

Maybe Gibbs was just trying to show Brunell what Ramsey was up against all last year.;)

I was thinking about that as well. Which players aren't used. I think it is rotating two linemen out. The reason for doing this is probably the same as a basketball team playing 5 on 8 so the 5 can learn how to handle a team that does a lot of press.

I am actually surprised it wasn't an 11 on 13 drill though so the offense was all together, but in any case, it seems like a drill designed to force the offense to play up tempo and get the ball out quickly.

The wide receivers are left out. It is basically a drill for running plays. This way Coles, Gardner and the rest of the recievers can practice passing plays instead of brushing up on their run blocking.

Talk about efficient, Gibbs is brilliant. That is how they get so much done in 90 minutes.

Archived