Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Five years, $14M for Staley

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1755323

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Free-agent tailback Duce Staley, the top unrestricted player at his position, could take a bus across the Pennsylvania Turnpike to reach his new home.

Fitting, since the former Philadelphia Eagles star will take the place of "The Bus" in the Pittsburgh Steelers' lineup.

Staley on Tuesday night signed a five-year, $14 million deal with the Steelers, ESPN.com has learned, and the team hopes he will resurrect a ground game that uncharacteristically ranked as the second worst in 2003. Ironically, one reason Staley opted for the Steelers over the Detroit Lions, with whom he visited Tuesday, was the presence of Jerome Bettis, aka "The Bus."

The contract will pay Staley, 29, a $4 million signing bonus. Over its first four seasons, the contract is worth $12 million, and then the base salary in 2008 drops to $2 million. Pittsburgh had pursued Staley, 29, ardently the past two days and made him a top priority.

His signing means that the Steelers will release Amos Zereoue, a part-time starter in each of the last two seasons. Bettis recently restructured his contract, reducing his base salary to $1 million, to remain with the team for at least one more season.

"It was obvious the Steelers really wanted Duce," said agent Derrick Harrison. "And it was pretty obvious, too, that Duce admires Jerome and wants to play with him. He thinks they'll make for a great twosome."

Make no mistake about it, though -- the Steelers recruited Staley to be the starter. Not in three decades has the Pittsburgh ground attack been as pitiful as in 2003 and Staley will be counted upon to provide instant improvement. The Steelers traditionally have been a power running team and Staley's slashing style should make for a good fit.

The Tampa Bay Bucs were among the other teams interested in Staley, but they opted to sign free agent Charlie Garner earlier Tuesday.

A former South Carolina star, Staley was a third-round choice of the Eagles in the '97 draft. He has started in 65 of his 98 appearances and rushed for 4,807 yards and 22 touchdowns on 1,200 carries. Staley also is an accomplished receiver and has 275 career catches for 2,498 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Three times in his career -- 1998, 1999 and 2002 -- Staley rushed for more than 1,000 yards and he started double-digit games in four seasons. Last summer, he boycotted all of training camp, and that cost him his starting job. Amid rumors that he would be traded, however, Staley worked hard once he reported and coach Andy Reid agreed the Eagles needed him around.

Staley started only four games in 2003, the fewest since his rookie campaign, and ran for 463 yards. But when starter Brian Westbrook went down with an injury, Staley regained his starting spot late in the season and performed well through the playoffs.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

I'm actually glad about this signing. Pittsburg is one of the teams that I was worried about getting a RB in the draft ahead of us Pokes. Now, Detroir and New England are the only other possibilities to pick a RB ahead of us, and if one of them doesn't pick a RB, or gets one prior to the draft, then I think the 'Boys would do well with either Jackson or Jones.

The contract numbers are not too bad for PIT. Staley should be good for a few more years. DAL might not have any competitor left in persuing Dillon ultimately.

Dillon is more scary than Staley, don't you think?

i would say Dillon would be worse than staley to block against. However, both either have a lot lfet in them or on the downturn. If the cowboys are drafting, who do you think they'd get, would Kevin Jones be worth signing?

Staley needs to run the whole game, to get into the groove, he didnt get that chance much in Philly....so I see why he would be going into Pitt....their backfield isnt JAMMED packed!!!!!

what the...............

Amos, "the Bus and now DUUUUUUUCE

cross the Pittsburgh running backs off your Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets for 2004.......

Dillon would be better than Duce, but Im not sure Tuna wants to deal with all the baggage he brings. Duce would no doubt have supplanted T-Ham as the starter, but again, Duce wouldve only been holding the spot for the 2004 draft pick Dallas will use on an RB. Whether it be Jones, Jackson, Turner, Perry or Clarett.

I would rather see Dallas get either one then draft a promising young back. while i believe Deuce has more in the tank and more to promise than Dillion(in my opinion). The young core of backs in the draft scares me. I know they might be unproven but with Tuna you never know.

Archived