Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steelers interested in Marcus Washington

KDawg

PITTSBURGH -- As soon as they got rid of one Washington on their defense, the Pittsburgh Steelers began pursuing another.

Free-agent linebacker Marcus Washington, who had 16 sacks the last three seasons for Indianapolis, wrapped up a two-day visit Thursday in Pittsburgh. The Steelers are looking to upgrade a defense -- and a pass rush -- that has slipped precipitously since leading the league in 2001.

The Steelers also are interested in bringing back one of their former linebackers, the Eagles' Carlos Emmmons -- a sign they may be ready to give up on former All-Pro Jason Gildon. Gildon is the Steelers' career sacks leader with 77 and had 27 sacks over the last three seasons, but had only six last season.

Gildon is due to make $3.65 million this season, a relatively high salary by Steelers standards for a player whose production has dropped significantly over the last two seasons.

Washington had fewer sacks with the Colts over the last three seasons than Gildon, but also had fewer sack opportunities in Indianapolis' 4-3 defense than he would likely get in Pittsburgh's 3-4. The Steelers' defense is designed for the outside linebackers to get a majority of the sacks.

"I think I fit well in this system," Washington said Thursday. "The 34 defense gives me the chance to use some of the talent I have. I'd be able to do some good things and help the club. ... In Indy, I dropped (into pass coverage) a bit more than I liked."

Last season's starting outside linebackers, Gildon and Joey Porter, both had offseasons as the Steelers went 6-10, tying their worst record in coach Bill Cowher's 12 seasons.

The Redskins are among the other teams interested in Washington, who wants a signing bonus in the $4 million to $5 million range and an annual salary of $4 million.

On Thursday night, The Washington Post and ESPN.com reported that Washington agreed to terms with the Redskins, with both saying the deal was for six years and $24 million -- far more than the Steelers can spend on him.

Should the Steelers sign Washington or Gildon, they almost certainly couldn't afford Gildon, too, even at a reduced salary. That doesn't mean Washington would want Gildon to leave.

"I remember watching him (Gildon) growing up. He played with another Auburn guy, Kevin Greene. That's what Pittsburgh is known for, great linebackers," Washington said. "He (Gildon) will have to teach me and show me a lot of things and I'll have to learn all the terminology."

Washington will visit with the Redskins on Friday, and also planned to meet with the San Diego Chargers. The Redskins are seeking a replacement for Jesse Armstead, who was released recently.

The Steelers also are seeking to replace longtime starting cornerback Dewayne Washington, who was released last week. They don't plan to bring in any free agents Friday, but do plan to meet next week with Fernando Bryant of Jacksonville, Fred Thomas of New Orleans, Reggie Howard of Carolina and David Barrett of Arizona.

Dewayne Washington still wants to play next season, but is interested in becoming an NFL official someday and will train with NFL Europe officials this spring. If he does become an official, he might find himself calling offensive pass interference on receivers he once covered.

Wire Index

--------------

Errrr.... Didn't we sign him? That was posted on the wire at 11:24...

Archived