Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis and the Blitz

Originally posted by NVskinsfan

He will be to us, as Faulk is to the RAMS :)

WOW! Next to Gibbs coming back, this is gonna be BIG TIME! Just starting to really sink in now! Two more days till its official.

Byner was one of the best backs ever at pass protection/picking up the blitz.....rather good that he is our RB's coach then isn't it

As long is Portis is willing to do it, that's half the battle, sometimes, just getting in the way or putting your body into a guy, even if you get flattened is enough to give the QB that extra haf a second or so he needs.

I agree, the blitz pickup is mostly about awareness and recognition. A lot of smaller backs in this league are better at blitz-pick up and pass protection than bigger backs. Case in point: Jamal Lewis' main weakness is his pass protection, something that his backup, scatback Chester Taylor, is adept at.

From what I understand, Portis is a downright nasty pass-blocker. I heard a few people on this board mentioning last season that they wished we had a back like Portis, who could pass-block like that.

Plus, I have to believe that Gibbs watched an a$$-load of film before he made any decision on an RB. I'm sure he took into account every aspect of an RB, including pass-protection abilities.

Make no mistake, this trade was made because Gibbs liked what he saw in Portis, from his running abilities (including both speed and power), his pass-catching abilities, and his blocking abilities. This guy has it all, and Gibbs knew it.

And that's why he'll be lifting a Burgundy and Gold jersey come Wednesday.

Portis learned how to block in Denver ... this means that he will lower his shoulders and dive, helmet first, into the opposition's knee cap. :) It is called the Denver chop block, and it is ingrained into every offensive player who makes the team

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Make no mistake, this trade was made because Gibbs liked what he saw in Portis, from his running abilities (including both speed and power), his pass-catching abilities, and his blocking abilities. This guy has it all, and Gibbs knew it.

And that's why he'll be lifting a Burgundy and Gold jersey come Wednesday.

If anyone knows what to look for in regards to blocking I feel damn safe that Gibbs Can and DID!!!

Archived