Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis Is Human

GatorEye

Before we award him the Super Bowl MVP, I found it interesting that he is averaging 1 fumble in just a little more than every 3 games (8 fumbles in 29 games) and he had 4 fumbles in the preseason of his rookie year.

While many labeled Davis a fumbler (although perhaps his failing was fumbling at the most inopportune times), his career average is 1 fumble in a little more than every 5 games (22 fumbles in 113 games).

I'm not saying this is good or bad, but his ratio is worse than Davis. Davis's stats got worse as his career went on, hopefully Portis's would get better.

I hope we can do the deal, but without giving up our second rounder.

Also, I pose an interesting question. If we were seeking a first, second, and a player from Detroit for Champ (although that may seem like we were overreaching, but still) and we trade him and a second to Denver to Portis, in essence that means we feel Portis is worth a first, 2 seconds, and a moderately valued player.

So the question - if Denver says, we'd trade you Portis for your first, 2 seconds, and a player (say Gardner) would you say yes that is a fair valued trade or no?

The problem with Davis wasn't necessarily the number of his fumbles, it was the timing of them.

He used to put the ball on the turf at the most inopportune times. Anyone remember when that scrub Dallas DT pried the ball from his arms when Davis was running out the clock on a 7-6 lead only to see the Cowboys turn that fumble into a game winning FG? Or the gift he gave to the Cruds when we lost 16-15 when he lost the ball while going across the goal line?

GE,

Your question isn't appropriate.

You can't say if we were seeking a first, second and a player for Champ and now we're thinking about taking Portis and giving up a pick for him along with Champ that it adds up like you have. Simply put, Portis is worth two firsts. Bailey is one of them plus a little. I think he should be worth the same :).

But, in any case, Portis IS the first and second and player in one body. :).

He is a fumbler. It'll be something we'll have to watch out for and help him improve upon. I suspect Gibbs won't think fondly of fumbles so there won't be a lot of dismissive of them.

Originally posted by bnacpa

Obviously, Davis doesn't fumble at the most inopportune times, at least not according to the Ref's ... :(

I am thinking goal line here ....

<PAINFUL MEMORY>

I tried gouge out that part of my memory with an ice pick. I was referring to when he played with us, but point well taken. :)

</PAINFUL MEMORY>

Originally posted by Art

GE,

But, in any case, Portis IS the first and second and player in one body. :).

I hope he is and isn't just like many other Denver RB's or Gator WR's ( a product of the system). :D

I'd bet my Mom with a bad hip could get 1000 yards rushing for Denver.

Also, why are so many people saying it's easy to find a RB that can rush for 1500+ yards? How many did we have on our roster last year?

Originally posted by Sire

I seem to remember another big time fumbler named ahman green. I think I like what he did when he left Seattle.

Save Champ! But Portis straight will have to do.

Sire,

I have Ahman Green on my fantasy team and believe me, he still fumbles often. He still gets at least 2 touchdowns in half the games during the year and is a great receiving threat as well as a quick speedster. He also seems to have games where he rushes for 125 - 175 often.

That kind of performance will buy some slack. Coaches don't get as mad at fumbles when they don't cost you the game. They may say they do, but you don't see Ahman Green getting benched anytime soon. You also never saw Anthony "Fumble-eitis" Dorsett getting benched for playing Santa on the field.

Originally posted by goldenster95

The problem with Davis wasn't necessarily the number of his fumbles, it was the timing of them.

He used to put the ball on the turf at the most inopportune times. Anyone remember when that scrub Dallas DT pried the ball from his arms when Davis was running out the clock on a 7-6 lead only to see the Cowboys turn that fumble into a game winning FG? Or the gift he gave to the Cruds when we lost 16-15 when he lost the ball while going across the goal line?

Cacreful who you call a 'scrub DT'..... that DT was none other than Brandon Noble.

Has anyone thought about just WHY Denver would be willing to trade Portis? Granted they'd be getting a pro bowl CB in Champ, but if Portis is THAT good, why not sign another FA corner and keep Portis???

I wonder if there is something that Denver's FO and Coaching staff knows that we don't know?

How about Ladanian instead of Portis although Marty probably would not give him up. He is clearly the best back in the NFL.

Why Tomlinson does not make the pro bowl? I dont know but his numbers speak for themselves. Most complete back in football on a bad team with a decimated offensive line in my mind. 11 different starters on the o-line in San Diego in 2003. Whereas 3 out of the 6 AFC pro bowl lineman come from KC and Baltimore. Denver's line is incredible even if they got snubbed in the pro bowl. Case in point is that Quentin Griffin Denver's 4th round draft choice had 210 yards in his last 2 starts behind Denver's line and looked like Portis. Only 3 make it to the pro bowl from the AFC but Tomlinson should be in there, probably in place of Portis.

Why Tomlinson does not make the pro bowl? I dont know but his numbers speak for themselves. Most complete back in football on a bad team with a decimated offensive line in my mind. 11 different starters on the o-line in San Diego in 2003. Whereas 3 out of the 6 AFC pro bowl lineman come from KC and Baltimore. Denver's line is incredible even if they got snubbed in the pro bowl. Case in point is that Quentin Griffin Denver's 4th round draft choice had 210 yards in his last 2 starts behind Denver's line and looked like Portis. Only 3 make it to the pro bowl from the AFC but Tomlinson should be in there, probably in place of Portis.

Archived