Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Global cooling caused by Global warming?

carlsbadd

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,582584,00.html

Interesting read, it seems that the climate is crazy regardless of mans utter disrespect for the planet(sarcasm)

"A total shutdown of the ocean conveyor might lead to a big chill like the Younger Dryas, when icebergs appeared as far south as the coast of Portugal. Or the conveyor might only temporarily slow down, potentially causing an era like the "Little Ice Age," a time of hard winters, violent storms, and droughts between 1300 and 1850. That period's weather extremes caused horrific famines, but it was mild compared with the Younger Dryas. "

It isn't about global warming, and it isn't about global cooling. It is about the Jet Stream. The flow of air 30,000 feet above the earth that controls what the weather is. If it is coming off the Pacific Ocean and a fairly straight west to east flow, the winter will be mild. If it is coming out of the Polar region, it will be very cold to where ever the Jet Stream is flowing too. These last two winters we have had the Jet Stream flow out of the Polar region right down to the Central U.S. into the East.

This isn't rocket science actually. Even though some like to make it that way.

It is all about the Jet Stream.

It's interesting that the article says that they found climate patterns from centuries ago that showed a severe climatic change

before man and indusrty had a chance to screw it up. Than they say that the current global warming "could be our fault" then revert back to another ice age. My head hurts.

Interesting Article...

However, as the article mentioned, the risk of this is extremely small. IMO, if this did happen it would be the result of natural reasons; not man made ones. This wouldn't be caused by the jet stream either. The most likely cause of the Atlantic current shuting down would be the Sun and/or slight shifts in the Earth's axis.

It would effect Europe much more then the US. The result here would be a 500 mile shift south in avg temps. For example, Washington, DC would have the climate of Montreal, Canada. As far as droughts go, they would be in the northern plains and New England.

Anyway, I know a little about this theory and for the current to shut off would take a lot of fresh water flooding into the N. Atlantic at a rapid rate. More then the predicted result of man-made global warming. So, I wouldn't sweat it...

Originally posted by carlsbadd

I hear ya johnny. I was kinda makin' fun of the article. I understand the theory behind it and all. Just having a little fun with it. My reading comprehension ain't so bad.

I ain't as dumb as I type:cool:

\

I wasn't calling you out or anything like that Carlsbadd. I wasn't refering to anyone. I was just talking in general about the article...

Archived