Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roster Battles

Chrisbob74

Firstly,we all know that things can change as we bring in free agents/rookies in to compete for roster/starting spots but I just thought I'd look at a few areas where we are going to have people fight for the stating job.

Running Back

Does Betts, or even Trung can a shot at getting the starters job. I feel betts has the best shot of anyone on the roster though Rock could be the dark horse. I would not like to see a vet pick up or rookie just be handed the spot, hopefully, competition brings out the best in all the guys we have/will have. Betts is the interesting one for me, I know he has his supporters here.

Left Tackle

I don't see us adding another player here so it is be between Chris Samuels and Brandon Winey. Does Winey even get a shot at the job? Bugel mentioned when he came back about being excited by our tackles, Samuels and Jansen, as if Samuels was the starter. I know that is just a quick comment though. I don't suspect for aminute Gibbs and his staff just give people starting spots. Samuels has struggled the past two years, the first, most people forgave him because of the nagging ankle, but the past year he was plain poor. I do feel the system may be partly to blam and considering Winey id well when he was in there I do feel he should at least get a shot to compete. At the very least it will keep Samuels on his toes.

Center

We may add another center but I would like to see Friedman resigned and fight it out with Flore for the job, I feel improved coaching and competition will bring out the best in them and the loser provides an excellent back-up.

Wide Receiver

Not going to say to much here, I've addressed this in another thread, but I do feel Gardener will at the very least, be made to fight for the #2 spot, especially if we do add a FA.

Safety

If we add a safety (a lot of talk about Taylor being drafted, please don't turn this into a for/against Taylor thread though ) do Bowen and Iffy fight it out for the ther spot, I would think so.

Other positions, such as DL, are not worth bringing up here as we know (well, hope!) additions/changes are coming.

I look at Betts as the backup if not the starterwith da rock and sultan mac working for a spot.

But if pittsburgh cuts zeroue he makes for an intriguing pick up I cant stand that bum from the bengals he is in his 30's too.

Samuels will benefit from a run based offense as will jansen and with randy thomas and how we saw dockery progress to an extent we may have the line in place except at center to have slobberknocker football back in DC that will make any RB on our team look great.

I just can't see Samuels not starting. I have read several articles regarding the play of our O-line in the last year or so and more than 1 of them have mentioned that under Spurrier and Co the fundamentals of both tackles have dropped off. Bugle will fix that. Something else to remember is that in Spurriers system, Samuels was often left completely alone against the opponents best pass rusher and expected to hold him off while Ramsey waited for deep routes to develop. I think a lot of Samuels problems this last year are due to poor coaching and even worse game planning. Look for this to change fast.

Rmember when Steven davis was a backup and competed for the starting job against Gerald Riggs? I don't think most of us knew Steven would be the back he is at that time. So you never know what we have until there given a legitimate chance to compete. especially in a run first offense.

There will be no competition at LT. Brandon Winey did a nice job in place of Samuels, but I think alot of this had to do with teams not having "the book" on him. Had he been in the lineup for a really long period of time, I think teams would have figured out what his weaknesses were, and would have taken advantage of them.

Bugel said in an interview on 980 that Chris Samuels has the ability to be one of the best players in the NFL, not just one of the best LTs. This means that Bugel is well aware of what Samuels' strengths are, and that the team will take full advantage of utilizing those strengths. One of the MANY things that separates this current coaching staff from Spurrier's staff is an ability to play to the strengths of their units. Due to this, Chris Samuels will have a nice turnaround next season in my opinion.

He will be the starter hands down as the coaching staff will put him in the best position to succeed.

Originally posted by Southtown

Jaxskins, I think you mean Skip Hicks? Riggs was well before Davis' time.

:cheers:

The battle at fullback will be interesting as well. My gut says that Johnson and Sellers stick while Cartright is the odd man out.

Rock CartW right will try for the tailback position. I feel that he will make a bid for it this season.

Blondie

Archived