Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP; bills being pressed to make decision on coaches

Lavarleap56

Bills' Assistants in Limbo

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 13, 2004; Page D02

The Washington-based NFL Coaches Association has sent a letter to Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Commissioner Paul Tagliabue asking the club to immediately make a decision on the fate of the coaching staff of fired head coach Gregg Williams.

The letter's intent is for the Bills to either release the remaining staff members from their contracts or guarantee the coaches will be retained for next season.

The matter will have an impact on the makeup of Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs's new staff.

Williams, whom Gibbs named defensive coordinator shortly after his hiring by the Redskins, wants to hire most of his former staff. But they are in limbo because of the NFL rule that allows teams to block the movements of assistants under contract. Even if a head coach has been fired, the assistants he hired aren't necessarily free to leave.

Until 2002, assistants were allowed to depart for promotions. But the contingency was extinguished largely because phony titles were used to circumvent the rule.

Buffalo has denied teams permission to contact most of its assistants so that the new head coach can make a decision on whether to retain them. The three finalists to replace Williams are Dick Jauron, Mike Mularkey and Charlie Weis. The Bills reportedly are likely to make a decision this week.

The Bills have allowed the Redskins to negotiate with special teams coach Danny Smith and safeties/third-down coach Steve Jackson. Both are expected to be hired this week, according to an NFL source.

Buffalo's benefit in allowing assistants to interview is that, if they are hired elsewhere, it saves money if the next head coach desires to bring in his own assistants. (All coaching contracts are guaranteed.) Williams had six defensive coaches during his Bills tenure.

Williams also wants to hire defensive line coach Tim Krumrie and linebackers coach Don Blackmon, according to a source. But it remains unclear whether the Bills have granted the Redskins permission to talk to the two. Williams is also interested in defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. But Gray is so highly regarded by Buffalo that he was one of seven candidates to interview for the head-coaching job.

Redskins Note: Wide receiver Laveranues Coles will make his first Pro Bowl appearance as a replacement for Minnesota's Randy Moss, who will miss the game with a heel injury. Coles, originally named as an NFC alternate, finished with 82 catches, 1,204 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Originally posted by lavarleap56

Bills' Assistants in Limbo

The Washington-based NFL Coaches Association has sent a letter to Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Commissioner Paul Tagliabue asking the club to immediately make a decision on the fate of the coaching staff of fired head coach Gregg Williams.

The letter's intent is for the Bills to either release the remaining staff members from their contracts or guarantee the coaches will be retained for next season.

It's impressive that Gibbs got this letter sent, but I think the Bills may ignore it . . . and they're probably on solid legal ground for doing so.

A contract is a contract. It may not be fair to the coaches to keep them in limbo, or what we desire as Skins fans, but the Bills are well within their rights not to release the best assets of their team -- the defensive coaching staff. The Bills obviously would like to keep that staff in place, and the only reason the staff would be allowed to leave is if the new Bills HC decides he wants his own people in place. Since the Bills will likely hire an offensive coach, it seems improbable that such a coach would nix these guys on the defensive side of the ball. And unlike with Russ Grimm, the Redskins can't make the argument that they are offering a promotion.

I'm actually more surprised about the Russ Grimm situation. The Steelers did allow him to interview for the Bears HC position, and I realize they are holding Grimm in reserve in case their OC (Mularkey) gets a HC job -- which would probably result in Grimm being promoted to OC. But if neither Grimm nor Mularkey get those offers, it seems abusive to hold Grimm down as an OL coach when he could be promoted to OC with the Redskins. This is particularly true for historical reasons: Grimm spent 19 years with the Redskins as player and coach, and the Steelers have had him for only three years. I'd lose a lot of respect for Cowher if he keeps Grimm as OL coach and blocks a move to the Skins: that's a bad way to treat the people you profess to respect.

:cheers:

ASF,

A contract is not a contract. The Bills have these guys under contract for a year. They have EVERY right to retain them under the terms of that contract. But, that's not what they are doing. They aren't living up to the terms of that contract. They may let these guys go as soon as they make a new hire. Or, they may trash these contracts to sign new ones if the new hire wants some of them on his staff.

It's most likely that these guys will be let go voiding the contract -- though still paying them. The league's rules are hosed here. Guys who are in contractual limbo like this, without being GUARANTEED actual jobs, should be free to protect themselves by finding other employment as they can.

The Bills are absolutely on solid legal footing.

The problem is that such a stance sends a message to prospective future coaches - "we will decide your future".

It seems silly to retain assistant coaches when the head coach has been fired. Holding them in limbo, at the FO's leisure, is even sillier, still. Jobs are filling up. If the new guy decides he wants his own people, these guys might have missed out on their preferred opportunity.

Just bad management, if you ask me. But Ralph Wilson is a great owner and Donahoe is a great GM - right? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by redman

Don't attribute everything to Gibbs. This is just a union or union-like organization protecting its own given that several of them appear to have jobs waiting for them if/when they're released by Buffalo.

No, Redman.

This is the almighty Gibbs making these waves.

You know it, I know it...hell, even dogs know it.

JK! I'm sure you're right about that; I'd like to think that he had some influence on this scenario though.

Seriously Redman, of COURSE this is Saint Joe doing this.

Just this morning, the sun rose from the East. THE EAST. Joe Gibbs is east of me. Obviously he's involved. Are you trying to say everything isn't touched by the Gibby? Please :).

The NFL needs to somehow tie the assistant coaches contracts to the HC. If the HC is fired, the assistants should then be free to pursue other jobs. Should they decide to leave, the old team doesn't owe them a penny. Should they decide to stay then they are at the mercy of the FO and new coach.

I think the message this letter really sends is "Get off your arse and hire a HC or at least tell us when a decision will be made so we know what direction we need to go in".

Archived