Who was better  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better

• Elway
    • Farve
    • Marino
    • Montana

Originally posted by Art

It's nice to have Darrell back in any capacity. However, is this really a good move strictly from a coaching aspect? Darrell for YEARS played on ability more than technique. So, essentially we're asking him to teach guys the things he ignored when he was taught.

Even as Green aged and started playing with more technique, he wasn't the strongest technical corner out there. I like the feel of adding him, but I'm not sure he's as qualified for this role as others might be at this point. I'd rather him be an assistant cornerbacks coach or something for a couple of years under a guy like Gray first. But that's just me.

I think we're looking at this like asking Michael Jordan to coach.....that would be so hard since he just "had" all this talent and its hard to explain that sort of drive to other players when they just don't have it.

Darrell is a different type of Football Player. He had that blazing speed and that was about it (and all his heart). He had to put himself in position to make the play....and he did it based on a set of morals. There are DB's out there who head hunt, I can think of one who was playing yesterday. They just want to hit you so hard that you're worthless the rest of the game. DG played with the "I won't hurt you but you WON'T catch the ball" mind set.

Regardless people, if anybody watched DG in 2001 and 2002, he was basically a coach to Champ, Smoot and Bauman already. He'd be huddled with them when the offense was on the field.

Lets see....."Champ, you man cover the #1 guy, Smoot, you're on the #2 guy.....break"

just kidding,

I think he could do well because he already has a teachers mentality with his youth centers and he's only a year removed from playing.

Darrell for YEARS played on ability more than technique. So, essentially we're asking him to teach guys the things he ignored when he was taught.

I disagree with this. I dont think he'd have been 1/4 of the player he was without being technically sound at the position. ESPECIALLY with his size. You dont cover guys with 4-6 inches on you by just being fast.

The thing is though, he played and was good for 20 years!

He had to have learned something to pass on to others right?

Besides I'm sure they realize this is his first coaching gig and won't leave him out to dry. He'll probably have plenty of help and people working with him.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

No he's just his mentor that knows his value when the haters of Champ try to make him out to be a scapegoat. Champ is one of the best corners and there is really no reason not to keep him on our team.

There are reasons for Champ not to be a Redskin, or at least one...$$$. If he wants too much. Doesn't make me a Champ hater for recognizing that.

Archived