Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants Impressions...

HailVictory

You know it's the offseason when you find yourself watching a replay of a Division-IIA game between Florida AMU and Deleware State, but...

I thought I'd give some scouting notes on our 4th round pick McCants:

First, the guy is flat out huge. You could easily spot him anywhere on the field because he had a good 5 inches on most of the CB's he was matched up with.

In the early part of the game, he found good positioning in the corner of the endzone, used his body and forearm to keep the DB away and did a nice job jumping up for his first score.

His next score came later in the game on a nice route over the middle, using his hands to bring the ball in stride. He never slowed down to catch the ball and finished the play off for his other TD.

Overall impressions

The guy is a great athlete- he's close to 6'5" and runs a 4.40.

He uses his frame extremely well and goes up for jump balls in a crowd. Once he catches it, he can shed the initial tackle.

He's able to catch the ball using his hands and rarely breaks stride if the ball is thrown well.

Of course this was D2, so he should've dominated (he was voted Player of the Game), but he definitely appears to have intriguing potential.

Now if only Marty can get that potential to shine on the pro level.

McCants is not THAT huge. Whatever source listed him as 6-5 is flat wrong. McCants is actually closer to 6-3. In fact, he's shorter than our 4th round pick Sage Rosenfels, who measures 6-4. The reason I know my source is accurate, is because I've seen them standing side by side in a rookie picture, which clearly shows Sage the edge in height. So if McCants is 6-5, then Rosenfels is 6-6. But they're not. Some writer probably thought McCants APPEARED to be 6-5, the way he shaped up against those Division I-AA CB's...If McCants was 6-5, then the WIZARDS would have drafted him

smile.gif

[edited.gif by Mick on July 08, 2001.]

Good post, Hail. Nice impressions of McCants. I look forward to seeing him in the pre-season. One point: The level of football you are striving to describe is Divsion I-AA. It is not Division II. The reason I bother to mention this is that strong I-AA teams can compete with Divsion I-A teams. Division II teams can't. Take the following teams for example:

-Marshall University: Moved up to Division I about 4 years ago and has been to a bowl game every year. Randy Moss played there.

-Youngstown State

-Georgia Southern

-Appalachain State: Whips Wake Forest annually. Nearly upset Auburn 2 years ago.

The reason these teams remain in I-AA is often due to enrollment numbers and stadium size (and their history within their respective conferences).

Good work, Mick.

Archived