Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Joe Gibbs' 'new deal'

TK

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040108-111908-9074r.htm

Joe Gibbs' 'new deal'

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

A smattering of fans arrived early to cheer his entrance and stayed late for a glimpse of his departure. Family, team officials, reporters and players past and present packed into and spilled out of the Redskin Park auditorium, all hoping to learn how this living legend planned to pull off his encore act.

And it took only minutes for Joe Gibbs, the most successful and newly rehired coach of the Washington Redskins, to slice through all the history and remind a town desperate for the good old days that those accomplishments must be left behind.

"I didn't wear my Super Bowl ring," said Gibbs, who coached the Redskins to all three of their Super Bowl titles. "We're focused on the future. We want to try to do something great here. It's a whole new deal. I've got to prove myself all over again."

It will be months before Gibbs, who on Wednesday signed a five-year contract worth about $28.5 million, and the Redskins get the opportunity to do that. For now, Washington — not least of all Redskins owner Dan Snyder — remains in a joyous stupor over Gibbs' arrival and the tantalizing possibility of a return to the club's glory years of the 1980s and early 1990s.

"This is one of the most exciting days in my life," Mr. Snyder said as he introduced Gibbs in a 5 p.m. news conference. "As a lifelong Redskins fan, it should be for all of us."

In a folksy, anecdote-laced speech, Gibbs revealed his nervous excitement and repeatedly paid homage to the fans who felt such a part of the team during his 12 seasons as coach. He also explained his reasons for returning to the NFL, his concerns about competing in a new era and a much-improved NFC East, and his confidence that he can mesh his decision-making with that of Mr. Snyder and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato.

Gibbs had considered taking the head-coaching vacancy of the Atlanta Falcons, of whom he was a minority owner. However, he made it clear that Mr. Snyder didn't have to do much selling to bring him back to Washington. Gibbs wanted to return to the National Football League as a coach, and once the Redskins' job opened up, he knew he "couldn't coach anywhere else."

In Gibbs' first stint with the Redskins, he was known for staying up all night studying film and sleeping in his office. However, he denied that he departed after the 1992 season because he was "burned out," saying the biggest motivation was to be with his family.

In the past 11 years, Gibbs has relished the time with his family and the success he enjoyed as owner of a NASCAR team. But now, with the somewhat begrudged blessing of his wife, Pat, he's ready to return to a task he views as immensely difficult.

"You love the challenge of doing something that's almost undoable," Gibbs said. "Certainly, this is as close to that as you can get."

Free agency was in its early stages when Gibbs left the Redskins, and the league's great equalizer, the complex and often penal salary cap, hadn't been implemented.

Thus, Gibbs said he realizes he has "a steep learning curve" to duplicate the remarkable success of Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells, two fellow NFL coaching greats who have returned with tremendous success to the field with the Kansas City Chiefs and Dallas Cowboys, respectively.

"I come here with the most humble spirit," Gibbs said. "I'm coming into this with my eyes wide open."

Former coach Steve Spurrier, who arrived in Washington with similar fanfare two years ago but resigned last week, was 2-10 in NFC East play. Gibbs now sees a formidable challenge in trying to compete in a division that already had Parcells and the Philadelphia Eagles' Andy Reid and now includes the New York Giants' Tom Coughlin.

"We're going to have to be really special to play in this division," Gibbs said.

Expectations already are mounting for Gibbs, who compiled a 140-65 record (including playoff games), reached four Super Bowls and won three titles as coach of the Redskins from 1981 to 1992. He offered no timetable for reviving a team that went 12-20 under Spurrier and has been to the playoffs just once since he departed. He instead said that he and his staff and players will work hard and "see where we go."

A huge lingering question, however, is whether Gibbs can forge a solid working relationship with Mr. Snyder and Mr. Cerrato. Gibbs is the Redskins' fifth coach since 2000, and the promise of stability under Mr. Snyder is one that has been made before.

Team sources said the power setup under Gibbs, despite reports that he would receive complete authority, remains the same as it was under Spurrier. Gibbs and Mr. Cerrato will have equal say on signings, draft picks and even cuts, and disputes will be resolved by Mr. Snyder.

In the minds of both Gibbs and Mr. Cerrato, there will be no disputes that cannot be resolved.

"I'm a coach," said Gibbs, acknowledging his title of "president" effectively is in name only. "All I want to do is coach. I want to be part of a real team here in the front office that helps us get players, helps us keep players."

Said Mr. Cerrato: "This will be a team. This will be talked through, worked out. This will be no problem whatsoever. This will be a great situation. It will be a very professional environment. My job is get the coach what he needs."

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040108-111908-9074r.htm

Joe Gibbs' 'new deal'

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

A smattering of fans arrived early to cheer his entrance and stayed late for a glimpse of his departure. Family, team officials, reporters and players past and present packed into and spilled out of the Redskin Park auditorium, all hoping to learn how this living legend planned to pull off his encore act.

And it took only minutes for Joe Gibbs, the most successful and newly rehired coach of the Washington Redskins, to slice through all the history and remind a town desperate for the good old days that those accomplishments must be left behind.

"I didn't wear my Super Bowl ring," said Gibbs, who coached the Redskins to all three of their Super Bowl titles. "We're focused on the future. We want to try to do something great here. It's a whole new deal. I've got to prove myself all over again."

It will be months before Gibbs, who on Wednesday signed a five-year contract worth about $28.5 million, and the Redskins get the opportunity to do that. For now, Washington — not least of all Redskins owner Dan Snyder — remains in a joyous stupor over Gibbs' arrival and the tantalizing possibility of a return to the club's glory years of the 1980s and early 1990s.

"This is one of the most exciting days in my life," Mr. Snyder said as he introduced Gibbs in a 5 p.m. news conference. "As a lifelong Redskins fan, it should be for all of us."

In a folksy, anecdote-laced speech, Gibbs revealed his nervous excitement and repeatedly paid homage to the fans who felt such a part of the team during his 12 seasons as coach. He also explained his reasons for returning to the NFL, his concerns about competing in a new era and a much-improved NFC East, and his confidence that he can mesh his decision-making with that of Mr. Snyder and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato.

Gibbs had considered taking the head-coaching vacancy of the Atlanta Falcons, of whom he was a minority owner. However, he made it clear that Mr. Snyder didn't have to do much selling to bring him back to Washington. Gibbs wanted to return to the National Football League as a coach, and once the Redskins' job opened up, he knew he "couldn't coach anywhere else."

In Gibbs' first stint with the Redskins, he was known for staying up all night studying film and sleeping in his office. However, he denied that he departed after the 1992 season because he was "burned out," saying the biggest motivation was to be with his family.

In the past 11 years, Gibbs has relished the time with his family and the success he enjoyed as owner of a NASCAR team. But now, with the somewhat begrudged blessing of his wife, Pat, he's ready to return to a task he views as immensely difficult.

"You love the challenge of doing something that's almost undoable," Gibbs said. "Certainly, this is as close to that as you can get."

Free agency was in its early stages when Gibbs left the Redskins, and the league's great equalizer, the complex and often penal salary cap, hadn't been implemented.

Thus, Gibbs said he realizes he has "a steep learning curve" to duplicate the remarkable success of Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells, two fellow NFL coaching greats who have returned with tremendous success to the field with the Kansas City Chiefs and Dallas Cowboys, respectively.

"I come here with the most humble spirit," Gibbs said. "I'm coming into this with my eyes wide open."

Former coach Steve Spurrier, who arrived in Washington with similar fanfare two years ago but resigned last week, was 2-10 in NFC East play. Gibbs now sees a formidable challenge in trying to compete in a division that already had Parcells and the Philadelphia Eagles' Andy Reid and now includes the New York Giants' Tom Coughlin.

"We're going to have to be really special to play in this division," Gibbs said.

Expectations already are mounting for Gibbs, who compiled a 140-65 record (including playoff games), reached four Super Bowls and won three titles as coach of the Redskins from 1981 to 1992. He offered no timetable for reviving a team that went 12-20 under Spurrier and has been to the playoffs just once since he departed. He instead said that he and his staff and players will work hard and "see where we go."

A huge lingering question, however, is whether Gibbs can forge a solid working relationship with Mr. Snyder and Mr. Cerrato. Gibbs is the Redskins' fifth coach since 2000, and the promise of stability under Mr. Snyder is one that has been made before.

Team sources said the power setup under Gibbs, despite reports that he would receive complete authority, remains the same as it was under Spurrier. Gibbs and Mr. Cerrato will have equal say on signings, draft picks and even cuts, and disputes will be resolved by Mr. Snyder.

In the minds of both Gibbs and Mr. Cerrato, there will be no disputes that cannot be resolved.

"I'm a coach," said Gibbs, acknowledging his title of "president" effectively is in name only. "All I want to do is coach. I want to be part of a real team here in the front office that helps us get players, helps us keep players."

Said Mr. Cerrato: "This will be a team. This will be talked through, worked out. This will be no problem whatsoever. This will be a great situation. It will be a very professional environment. My job is get the coach what he needs."

Archived