Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Around the Horn

Stricknine

Something to remember is that at the time (80s), Gibbs was always recognized as a good coach, but was in the tier below Walsh and Parcells (perhaps alongside Ditka and Levy) according to the common wisdom. Part of that is just the media gravitating to certain guys, part of that is the personality of the coaches, part of that is the market that they played in.

Bottom line, what always impressed me most about Gibbs was his ability to do well with a revolving door on the personnel side, and his ability to make half time adjustments.

Something to remember is that at the time (80s), Gibbs was always recognized as a good coach, but was in the tier below Walsh and Parcells (perhaps alongside Ditka and Levy) according to the common wisdom. Part of that is just the media gravitating to certain guys, part of that is the personality of the coaches, part of that is the market that they played in.

Bottom line, what always impressed me most about Gibbs was his ability to do well with a revolving door on the personnel side, and his ability to make half time adjustments.

Originally posted by In Joe We Trust

Can someone find Gibbs vs. Parcells record?

as posted by Capt. America

"...Parcells coached against Gibbs from 1983 - 1990.

According to my research, they played 17 times during those years. Parcells is 11-6 vs Gibbs' Redskin teams with one of the victories being a 17- 0 victory against Gibbs and the Skins in the '86 NFC Championship game.

Also of note, two (2) of Gibbs victories against Parcells came in Parcells' first season with the Giants, 1983, when Parcells went 3-12 and learned he had to do it his way.

In the final 3 years of their careers together, (from '88-'90), Parcells went 6-0 against Gibbs and the Skins. "

Originally posted by In Joe We Trust

Can someone find Gibbs vs. Parcells record?

as posted by Capt. America

"...Parcells coached against Gibbs from 1983 - 1990.

According to my research, they played 17 times during those years. Parcells is 11-6 vs Gibbs' Redskin teams with one of the victories being a 17- 0 victory against Gibbs and the Skins in the '86 NFC Championship game.

Also of note, two (2) of Gibbs victories against Parcells came in Parcells' first season with the Giants, 1983, when Parcells went 3-12 and learned he had to do it his way.

In the final 3 years of their careers together, (from '88-'90), Parcells went 6-0 against Gibbs and the Skins. "

A lot of that's timing, folks. The Giants' heydays under Parcells were the mid-80's and around 1989-1990. Those are years in which we were rebuilding in many respects. And Parcells was only just coming on board when we were at our first peak under Gibbs.

It doesn't mean much to me.

A lot of that's timing, folks. The Giants' heydays under Parcells were the mid-80's and around 1989-1990. Those are years in which we were rebuilding in many respects. And Parcells was only just coming on board when we were at our first peak under Gibbs.

It doesn't mean much to me.

Archived