Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Final Score History (38-31)

kleese

This was the 38th time in NFL history a game has ended 38-31. All but one (a 2003 divisional playoff game between Chiefs/Colts) was played in regular season. 

This was the 4th time in Washington history a game landed 38-31:

1995: @ Broncos 38, Redskins 31

2012: Bengals 38, @ Redskins 31

2012: Redskins 38, @ Cowboys 31

2023: Eagles 38, @ Commanders 31

1-3 (0-2 home; 1-1 road) 

—The 1995 game was quite memorable for me. Second time this year we’ve talked about 1995.. a more competitive season than record indicates. This was the third game of season and really hurt. We fell behind 24-7, but fought back to tie it. Denver took a 31-24 lead but Frerotte (big game) led a game tying drive. Unfortunately we left Elway just enough time. On the final play he hit Rod Smith with a semi-Hail Mary (43 yards out). I say “semi” because the route was essentially one on one with Green and Smith won the jump ball. Back then, the rule stated you had to kick the PAT even though there was no time on clock. I was really upset. I walked out of the sports bar (my senior year in HS) saw an empty beer bottle and picked it up and launched it… into the street. Got lucky it didn’t hit anyone or anything. Dumb. 

—Bengals game was really fun early in the RG3 season. Cincy offense cooked us though and we just couldn’t get a big stop. 

—I was at the Thanksgiving Game in Dallas that year. Probably the best/most fun win I’ve ever seen in person. There was also an awesome ES tailgate prior. Great group and it was a gorgeous day to boot. Took my father in law and we had a fantastic time. One of the more satisfying wins of the Snyder era and not as close as score indicated. This was the peak of that offense just doing whatever it wanted. A fun/memorable game. 

Had we not scored the late TD it would have been same total.. we’ve played in three 38-24 games. 

• 2 weeks later...