Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Final Score History (24-16)

kleese

First of all, I failed to do the Bears game… that was a scorigami for the organization — first time we ever participated in a 40-20 game. 

The win Sunday in Atlanta marked the 54th time in NFL history a game ended 24-16 with all but one of them (the 1961 AFL championship game) being in the regular season. 

This was the fourth time in franchise history a game has ended 24-16, with the team now 2-2 in those games (1-2 on road, 1-0 at home) 

1965: @ Browns 24, Redskins 16 

2007 @ Redskins 24, Bears 16

2013 @ Eagles 24, Redskins 16

2023 Commanders 24, @ Falcons 16

—The 1965 game was shaping up as an upset at the half with the Redskins leading 16-7. Browns came back and put the game away on a Jim Brown TD (remember no two point conversion in those days). Brown had 141 yards rushing for the game. 

—The 2007 game was probably a rare instance where a Thursday night game/short week was beneficial for all. This was the game that came four days after the devastating loss to the Bills following the death of Sean Taylor. I remember being pretty numb going into the Bears game both due to the tragedy and also because I felt the season had likely ended in the Bills game. The win vs the Bears sort of helped ease the pain of the Bills game and gave the team (and fans) a chance to reset. 

—I have basically zero recollection of the 2013 loss in Philly. Very vague memories of watching and not really caring. 

I am glad the Falcons went for 2 and we didn’t win 24-17; I’d have been much busier this week. 

Edited by kleese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• kleese changed the title to Washington Final Score History (24-16)

Ed, just curious.....how many games in league history were decided by 40-20?

As for 24-16, I went to nearly all of the regular season games at FedEx from 1997-2018. That game against the Bears was by far the coldest of those 22 seasons. The stairs in the seating bowl in the club level had ice patches. I'm pretty convinced that if Jason Campbell didn't get hurt in that game and Todd Collins comes in the rest of the season, we don't make the playoffs that year.

Looking back at 2013.....I was in Vegas watching the Thursday night game the week prior against the Vikings. The season had started out poorly, but we were sort of turning it around and people were perhaps hoping for a repeat of the run we had at the end of 2012. We were rolling in that Minnesota game and then collapsed and lost. Looking back at the boxscore of the Philly game, I'm pretty sure I was at the Linc that day. Skins were dead for much of the game, but then rallied at the end to get within 24-16, and RG3 actually led us down into the redzone at the end, before throwing a pick to seal it.

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Ed, just curious.....how many games in league history were decided by 40-20?

As for 24-16, I went to nearly all of the regular season games at FedEx from 1997-2018. That game against the Bears was by far the coldest of those 22 seasons. The stairs in the seating bowl in the club level had ice patches. I'm pretty convinced that if Jason Campbell didn't get hurt in that game and Todd Collins comes in the rest of the season, we don't make the playoffs that year.

Looking back at 2013.....I was in Vegas watching the Thursday night game the week prior against the Vikings. The season had started out poorly, but we were sort of turning it around and people were perhaps hoping for a repeat of the run we had at the end of 2012. We were rolling in that Minnesota game and then collapsed and lost. Looking back at the boxscore of the Philly game, I'm pretty sure I was at the Linc that day. Skins were dead for much of the game, but then rallied at the end to get within 24-16, and RG3 actually led us down into the redzone at the end, before throwing a pick to seal it.

Five total 40-20 games including ours. Only one that sorta stood out was an Oilers/Bengals game from Dec 1990 that I believe had major playoff implications— Bengals rallied to win. 

How did I forgot the 14-7 tally in Soop 7?  What was the Garo moment for the Giants yesterday? The muffed punt, the muffed pick-six, or Saquan losing the ball inside the 10 before his backside was down?

Either way, another season where we just can't seem to get off to a good start.