Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs' Effect on Players' Egos

Reaganaut

I think that Skins players are going to come to post this year if for no other reason than they know the entire blame will be laid on them for failure next season. They did a great job this year of deflecting their lack of performance onto the coach who let them get away with it, but Gibbs is a different animal. He is stone and they are scissors if you follow the analogy.

I think we will find out next year who has come to play and who will be replaced. I think we will find out who the 7's and 8's are who perform over their heads like they do on Philly. Gibbs is a coach like (Philly DC) Jim Johnson who will bring out the best in players without the egos coming to a head. It's no coincidence that under Gibbs that players with the character of Art Monk and Monte Coleman thrived. These types of players are going to be celebrated again here in Washington.

We do not have any really bad characters on the team fortunately and I think they are prime for wanting to do the right thing. Spurrier lost them last year and I think that Gibbs will put hope back in their eyes. Even Champ Bailey.

If they do not perform then they will be humiliated. Under coach Spurrier it was the coach who was humiliated. Jon Jansen had a below par season and managed to place the blame squarely on Spurrier. Not a possibility with Gibbs or Bugel. The only chance the players have is to play the "out of touch" card for him being out of coaching for 12 years. The likelihood of this is slim and a risk worth taking. There is a big game of chicken about to be played out and it ain't gonna be like it was under Marty. Gibbs knows how to handle these men and make them respect themselves the way former players did.

Gibbs is the only person in my mind that has a chance of turning this bunch into self-respecting winners. It's a shame they weren't coached by him earlier and we had to waste half of Bailey's career. We saw how good the Jets players were last year having from Herman Edwards' coaching, we can expect all Skins players to have a similar attitude under Coach Joe.

I think that Skins players are going to come to post this year if for no other reason than they know the entire blame will be laid on them for failure next season. They did a great job this year of deflecting their lack of performance onto the coach who let them get away with it, but Gibbs is a different animal. He is stone and they are scissors if you follow the analogy.

I think we will find out next year who has come to play and who will be replaced. I think we will find out who the 7's and 8's are who perform over their heads like they do on Philly. Gibbs is a coach like (Philly DC) Jim Johnson who will bring out the best in players without the egos coming to a head. It's no coincidence that under Gibbs that players with the character of Art Monk and Monte Coleman thrived. These types of players are going to be celebrated again here in Washington.

We do not have any really bad characters on the team fortunately and I think they are prime for wanting to do the right thing. Spurrier lost them last year and I think that Gibbs will put hope back in their eyes. Even Champ Bailey.

If they do not perform then they will be humiliated. Under coach Spurrier it was the coach who was humiliated. Jon Jansen had a below par season and managed to place the blame squarely on Spurrier. Not a possibility with Gibbs or Bugel. The only chance the players have is to play the "out of touch" card for him being out of coaching for 12 years. The likelihood of this is slim and a risk worth taking. There is a big game of chicken about to be played out and it ain't gonna be like it was under Marty. Gibbs knows how to handle these men and make them respect themselves the way former players did.

Gibbs is the only person in my mind that has a chance of turning this bunch into self-respecting winners. It's a shame they weren't coached by him earlier and we had to waste half of Bailey's career. We saw how good the Jets players were last year having from Herman Edwards' coaching, we can expect all Skins players to have a similar attitude under Coach Joe.

the other factor is Gregg Williams is a good coach in being able to relate to younger players that have big egos.

At Tennessee he has Jevon Kearse and Samari Role, two players that are not exactly known for their humility :)

The defense needs talent but Williams knows that and will communicate to Gibbs what he needs to run his system.

The opening tone a coach sets in how he runs his practices and how the assistants run their meetings lets guys know if the staff has anything.

It was clear Spurrier's staff was except for Lewis a bunch of green apples from Gatorland.

The players knew almost from the start there wasn't going to be any close held accountability and took advantage.

the other factor is Gregg Williams is a good coach in being able to relate to younger players that have big egos.

At Tennessee he has Jevon Kearse and Samari Role, two players that are not exactly known for their humility :)

The defense needs talent but Williams knows that and will communicate to Gibbs what he needs to run his system.

The opening tone a coach sets in how he runs his practices and how the assistants run their meetings lets guys know if the staff has anything.

It was clear Spurrier's staff was except for Lewis a bunch of green apples from Gatorland.

The players knew almost from the start there wasn't going to be any close held accountability and took advantage.

Keeping in mind that Joe Gibbs isn't a stranger to big egos himself. From his stint as OC in San Diego to his first run with the Redskins, he's coached some mighty big ones. He'll be fine. And certainly the team will.

Keeping in mind that Joe Gibbs isn't a stranger to big egos himself. From his stint as OC in San Diego to his first run with the Redskins, he's coached some mighty big ones. He'll be fine. And certainly the team will.

Agreed on Spurrier's staff being green Gatorade. I think the performance of players like Coles got them off on the right foot, but their first crisis was not dealt with effectively. The loss to the Giants had to kill them and the adjustment to the Offensive Line debacle had to defeat their confidence in Spurrier who was wishy washy on his coaching style. Not surprising really.

Agreed on Spurrier's staff being green Gatorade. I think the performance of players like Coles got them off on the right foot, but their first crisis was not dealt with effectively. The loss to the Giants had to kill them and the adjustment to the Offensive Line debacle had to defeat their confidence in Spurrier who was wishy washy on his coaching style. Not surprising really.

Archived