Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who were Gibbs' assistants?

JerseyGator

Perusing the web site http://www.pro-football-reference.com , I reviewed the Skins performance summaries by year under Gibbs' reign. In addition to having two of the top 20 receivers of all time, his teams also had some very good defenses. In terms of total yardage, the defenses were ranked as above average in the NFL for 10 of his 12 years. His 2 worst defenses by this standard represented his two worst years, when he went 8-8 (his first year) and 7-9, his only losing season.

Did Gibbs enjoy a fair amount of continuity with his defensive players and coaches? He obviously was an excellent QB coach, using 4 different ones during his 4 SB trips.

Did they get most of their defensive starters from the draft or free agency/trades?

Gibbs had some all pro assistants.

Dan henning, Joe Bugel, emmitt Thomas (DB coach), Charley Taylor (yes THAT charley Taylor) was a WR coach when Art Monk was a rookie. Art commented on it on a show with Doc Walker on comcast this year.....

Pettibone was a master Defensive coordinator. The OL coach at the rams right now; he may be the best all time Ol coach ever; his name of course excapes me now that I'm trying to think of it..... I can see his face mentally but no name.....

Then look at his special teams coach. Was it Pete Wysocki? Whoever it was, was a VERY good coach. The skins had a history of having some of the best special teams in the league, that is until Norvicus and subsequent disasters.

------

They got starters from a variety of sources. Butz was a George allen carryover. So was George Starke for example.

Gibbs started out with very few #1 picks, thanks to allen's philosophy of "i never met a rookie I liked". allen traded away any and all picks he could for old, wily vets. Thus the moniker of "the over the hill gang" for allens redskins. Of course jack pardee was in between Allen and Gibbs, but his tenure was short. he was one of those George allen "ramskins".

Gibbs and Beathard had some great drafting such as Art monk, Darrell Green, Clint Didier, Dexter manley, charles mann, Mark may, charlie Brown, Daryl Grant, Monte coleman, Olkieweitz, rich milot. And brought in some talent such as Gary clark and Ricky Sanders from the USFL when it collapsed. Not to mention the undrafted players such as joe Jacoby.

Then there were some trades/free agency moves like the Wilber marshall deal. Let's not forget two extremely lopsided deals; jay Schroeder for jim lachey. And stealing Ernest Byner for Mike oliphant....straight up.

They found the talent under whatever rock or crevise they looked.

I think it wasn't just finding talent. But Gibbs skill in molding the talent into what he wanted. and making the schemes maximizing the talent. That was the true genius.

Larry Pecatello was the LB coach and Petitbone's no. 1 assistant. LaVerne Torgy Torgeson (who coached here prior to Gibbs I believe) was the DL coach. And the late (and great) Wayne Sevier was the special teams coach for much of the Gibbs' era. Picking and retaining assistants was one of Joe's best things and a key to his success. :cheers:

Archived