Extremeskins

Skins.com:Samuels A Game-Time Decision

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12424

Samuels A Game-Time Decision

12/19/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Left tackle Chris Samuels remains optimistic that he’ll be able to return to the starting lineup in Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears, but head coach Steve Spurrier indicated Samuels would likely be a game-day decision.

Samuels is officially listed as questionable with a knee sprain, as is his immediate backup Brandon Winey, who also has a knee sprain. If Samuels is unable to play, Spurrier said offensive lineman Daryl Terrell would likely replace him in the starting lineup.

“We’ll see how Chris is the day of the game,” Spurrier said. “Daryl Terrell is probably the most healthy one right now.”

“Chris and I shared the reps in practice this week,” said Terrell, who is in his third week with the Redskins after signing with the team in early December. “Friday, he took most of the reps and I watched from behind and got some mental reps.”

Terrell, a 6-4, 327-pound offensive lineman, saw his first action with the Redskins in last Sunday’s game versus Dallas. Winey, who has filled in for Samuels the last four games, had given up only one sack in his stint with the offense.

“I sort of was surprised [when he got in last Sunday’s game],” he said. “But I was ready and I had to get warmed up pretty quick. I was still trying to get into the playbook and get the plays down.”

Terrell spent the 2002 season with the Jacksonville Jaguars and played in nine games for the Jaguars. He spent the 1998-2001 seasons with New Orleans and started nine games in 2001 for injured tackle Willie Roaf.

Extra Points

Laveranues Coles is expected to play in this Sunday’s game despite missing several days of practice this week. He has a stress fracture in his right toe that has been bothering him this season. Said Spurrier: “Laveranues is going to [play]. His foot is still bothering him, but he’ll be ready to play.”

Safety David Terrell is listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game with a sprained knee, but he has been able to practice lightly the last two days. Spurrier was optimistic that Terrell would be able to play. The prognosis for rookie wide receiver Taylor Jacobs was less optimistic. Jacobs is listed as questionable for the game with a foot injury.

Archived