Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Quote Sheet From Wednesday's Redskins Practice

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/2003/week16/quotes17.htm

Quote Sheet From Wednesday's Redskins Practice

Tim Hasselbeck | Rod Gardner | Matt Bowen | Rock Cartwright

Compiled by Gene Wang

washingtonpost.com Correspondent

Web Posted: Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2003; 4:03 p.m. EST

Tim Hasselbeck

Q: Do you take poor performances such as last week in stride?

A: I think it's important to do that. I don't think I ever got too high on anything after a win or if I feel like I played well. I don't get too low after having a bad performance.

Q: Do you feel like you were outsmarted by the Cowboys?

A: They still blitzed us. They still ran some of the same blitzes that they ran against us the first time, and one of the times we had an answer for it, I completed a pass to Darnerien [McCants], but just came up one yard shy of the first down, so I don't think we were outsmarted or anything like that. They did some things differently, but I always think you get that when you play somebody the second time. They're not going to do exactly what they did to you the last time.

Q: Can you gauge what the mood of the team is for the final two games?

A: There really isn't any quit in the guys here. Regardless of how you look at it, anybody who's playing at this level is extremely competitive. As a quarterback, you're not lining up next to somebody and fighting somebody on every play, but it's what the fullbacks do, it's what the offensive linemen do, it's what the tight ends do, and those guys aren't going to back down from any kind of confrontation or any kind of fight, so the guys are still going to play hard the next two games. I have no doubt that's going to happen.

Q: Are these next two games critical for you personally?

A: I said it before. When you're the backup quarterback, you don't know when your next chance will ever come to play. I know I'll have an opportunity to play this weekend and play well, and that's what I'm going to try to do. Like I said before, if Patrick [Ramsey] comes back and is healthy, the next thing you know, it might be a while before I get back out on the field.

Q: What do you think of the Bears?

A: They've obviously playing better. They're playing good defense. They have some young guys at corner that are playing well, and they've obviously have Brian Urlacher. They have good players on their defense. You're going to get that week in and week out in the NFL. For us, we're an offense that maybe hasn't been playing as well as we want to play. It's a big challenge.

Rod Gardner

Q: Do you ever step back and think that you were 3-1 and ask where did it go wrong?

A: Yeah, I mean you see how fast things can turn around. Some of the best teams you might have thought at the beginning of the season, they might not make the playoffs. Hopefully, we can get it turned around sooner rather than later.

Q: How do you feel about your performance this season personally?

A: I don't think I put up the numbers I thought I was going to compared to what I did last year. I just got to roll with it and hopefully get better next year.

Q: What can you and Laveranues Coles do to get better as a tandem?

A: Honestly, we have to go into next season at the top of our game. We have to come in next year smoking and go out and dominate and help this team win. That's what we've got to do.

Q: Coming into the season, did you expect to be one of the best tandems in the league?

A: We did. We have two good young receivers who can make plays. This season didn't work out as well because as a team we didn't play well. But once this thing gets turned around, we'll be able to do things.

Matt Bowen

Q: What do you have to do to beat the Bears?

A: In [quarterback Rex] Grossman's first game, he didn't make many mistakes. He played pretty sound, fundamental football, and I think to beat them, we have to shake him up a little bit, give him some different looks and try to confuse him a little bit. He hasn't had much experience, so anytime you're playing a young quarterback, that's what you want to do.

Q: What is the mood in the locker room?

A: I mean, this is our job. We play football for a living as of now, and that's what we're going to do. We'll all play hard and try to win a ballgame. No matter what part of the season it is, it's tough to win in this league, and when you do, you feel like you've accomplished something, and that's what we're going to try to do.

Q: This isn't what you expected after starting the season 3-1, is it?

A: No, you ask any team that's out of the playoffs, they'll say the same thing. Of course it's not. Everyone wants to be in contention for the playoffs. We're trying to get into that tournament, but we're not in that situation, so right now we just play to win.

Q: Do you find yourself looking to next season?

A: I think we'll look at that once we get through these two games. We'll try to get a win on Sunday and get ready for Philly, and then we'll look at some things.

Rock Cartwright

Q: Do you think the running game will be important against the Bears?

A: It's going to be extremely important that we establish the running game. I'm pretty sure it's going to be snowing or raining. You don't want to throw the ball in that weather, try not to have any turnovers.

Q: With the weather last week, did you feel you should have run more?

A: I don't know. We really haven't gotten into specifics about what we should have done or what we shouldn't have done. Me personally, I thought we should have run a little bit more, but I'm not the coach. I just play.

Q: What do you play for the last two games?

A: We play for pride. We play for each other, try to build confidence for the guys coming back next year. Some guys won't be here, but some guys will, but let's try to get this thing turned into a positive next year.

Q: Can you get a sense of what this team has left for the last two games?

A: I don't know. Some guys are fighting for jobs, some guys are auditioning for jobs and just going out and trying to make every play you can.

Q: Do you wonder how it went from 3-1 to 5-9?

A: Yeah, I do, but at the same time, we had a lot of guys who got injured. That plays a big part in it. But there were some games we should have won that we didn't win, and it came back to haunt us.

Matt Bowen

Q: Do you find yourself looking to next season?

A: I think we'll look at that once we get through these two games. We'll try to get a win on Sunday and get ready for Philly, and then we'll look at some things.

I've got an idea........

How 'bout looking at some film and learning how to knock somebody down like a real safety :rolleyes:

I'm not taking shots at Bowen by any means, but my question is this (maybe somebody has an answer): did our organization, specifically the FO, become attracted to Bowen simply based on what he did in the Atlanta playoff game vs. Green Bay a season ago? I hope that our FO didn't decide to put him on our list of targeted free agents based on that 20 tackle performance in the playoffs, or whatever amount it was. Because when your saftey is making all your tackles, you know that something is going wrong on defense, and clearly, that Packers defense was having problems vs. Vick and the Falcons. I'd hope that they were impressed by his in-season play as well, and simply did not base signing him on one game's performance.

Originally posted by Demoralized Canadian Hog

I'm not taking shots at Bowen by any means, but my question is this (maybe somebody has an answer): did our organization, specifically the FO, become attracted to Bowen simply based on what he did in the Atlanta playoff game vs. Green Bay a season ago? I hope that our FO didn't decide to put him on our list of targeted free agents based on that 20 tackle performance in the playoffs, or whatever amount it was. Because when your saftey is making all your tackles, you know that something is going wrong on defense, and clearly, that Packers defense was having problems vs. Vick and the Falcons. I'd hope that they were impressed by his in-season play as well, and simply did not base signing him on one game's performance.

It seems like they were :doh: .

Everything I read last season pointed to that stupid playoff game last year.

There was a reason he was a backup in Green Bay. I think we found out why.

Archived