Extremeskins

Skins.com:Ramsey Says Surgery On Foot 'Went Well'

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12416

Ramsey Says Surgery On Foot 'Went Well'

12/17/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey said Wednesday that the surgical procedure on his injured right foot earlier this week went “as well as we could have expected it to go” and he hopes to begin his rehabilitation as soon as possible. He said doctors removed a loose bone fragment that was aggravating the tendons and causing the pain.

“I think we’re all pretty confident that it’s going to be gone now,” he said. “It was a situation where it wasn’t going to go. It wasn’t getting any better, although we tried to wait it out.

“They do feel very confident that it’s not going to be an issue any longer after this. I asked the doctor again and again, ‘Is it ever going to be this sore again?’ He said that it shouldn’t be because the piece is going to be gone.”

Ramsey had a bruised bone in his foot—the result of an old injury—that began to flare up midway through the season. It impacted his mobility and affected his ability to plant his feet during throws.

Ramsey had the surgical procedure done in Charlotte, N.C. on Monday and returned to the Washington, D.C. area Tuesday evening. He was at Redskin Park on Wednesday.

Head coach Steve Spurrier said Ramsey should be able to start running again in 8-10 weeks.

“Patrick should be fine before mini-camp [in April],” Spurrier said.

Ramsey expects to begin riding a stationary bicycle soon to get back into shape.

“I need to strengthen the tendons,” he said. “I need to strengthen my leg back and get it back to where it was before the surgery without running around.”

In the meantime, Ramsey expects to watch the Redskins remaining two games of the regular season from the press box where he can get a sense of the play calls and the coverage schemes from above.

While Ramsey would certainly rather be playing, he is viewing it as another step in his development as a NFL quarterback.

“It wouldn’t benefit me at all to just watch the game as a spectator,” he said. “I have to watch the game and be up there in the press box, see what’s called, see what the defense does and how we react to it. Watching it happen live helps more than watching film sometimes because you can react to it and try to decide what it is you would have done.”

In the meantime, Ramsey expects to watch the Redskins remaining two games of the regular season from the press box where he can get a sense of the play calls and the coverage schemes from above.

While Ramsey would certainly rather be playing, he is viewing it as another step in his development as a NFL quarterback.

“It wouldn’t benefit me at all to just watch the game as a spectator,” he said. “I have to watch the game and be up there in the press box, see what’s called, see what the defense does and how we react to it. Watching it happen live helps more than watching film sometimes because you can react to it and try to decide what it is you would have done.”

Oh well, maybe some good can come out of this afterall.

It's a much better approach than the one taken by Mike Vick earlier this season - have the owner wheel you out in a wheelchair, and sit by yourself on the bench talking to someone on your cell-phone for the duration of the game.

Archived