Extremeskins

Skins.com:Quotes From Redskin Park, Dec. 10

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12383

Quotes From Redskin Park, Dec. 10

12/10/2003

HEAD COACH STEVE SPURRIER

On Wednesday’s practice:

“We had some nasty weather but we got everything in. We had a pretty decent practice. The weather could be worse tomorrow, they say. We’ll see if we can get it done on the Astroturf practice field tomorrow.”

On beating Dallas’s blitz packages:

“We’re going to try and do better. We’re going to try and get rid of it quicker and block them better. We’re going to try something hopefully a little bit smarter than the last time we played them.”

On Tim Hassselbeck:

“He does have good anticipation on where to throw it. Hopefully we can block better. We didn’t block very well. We allowed some hits on Patrick Ramsey that we shouldn’t have. Hopefully we’ll be a little bit smarter.”

On the Cowboys:

“They’ve lost a few games lately but they’re still a very good team. They’re still first in the NFL in total defense. They’re a real solid team, but they’re beatable if we play our best and finish the game strong. We’re excited to play them. I know our fans are excited and this is their game of the year. Hopefully we’ll play our best game of the year.”

On the early turnovers and the lack of points they helped produce in the last game:

“We had seven out of three turnovers. We got sacked a whole bunch. We didn’t do much at all on offense.”

On Darnerien McCants:

“He just needs to play more and get more balls thrown to him. Just like a lot of people in life: All you need is an opportunity. Hopefully we can get him some more opportunities. I think he’s an excellent receiver. He’s very close to our top guys. There’s not a whole lot of difference. He just needs more opportunities.”

ROCK CARTWRIGHT (RB, #40)

On picking up the Dallas blitz:

“I’m sure they’ll bring a lot of pressure, but if they do, we’re capable of picking it up. We’ll be ready for it.”

On the success of the running game last week:

“I think this offense goes as the running backs go. When the running backs have a good game, this offense plays real well.”

On his ankle injury:

“My left ankle is still hurting a little bit, but I have a brace in today that I specially ordered. It makes me feel a little bit more secure. It’s a brace I used in college when I had a high ankle sprain. It helps my ability to run from side to side and it helps increase my flexibility."

On whether there’s an adjustment with Tim Hasselbeck starting at QB:

“I think guys have gotten used to Tim. He’s been back there for a while. Now that guys have gotten used to him as a leader, then we’ll become successful.”

On media reports that Steve Spurrier will be returning as head coach nest season:

“I think Coach Spurrier coming back gives us a lot of confidence because you don’t like change all the time. So with Coach Spurrier here, hopefully we can get this thing turned around and get some things going next year. I think he’s learned a lot [as a head coach] in the last couple years. Hopefully he can build on what he’s learned.”

FRED SMOOT (CB, #21)

On whether Steve Spurrier has spent more time with the defense as he said he would last offseason:

“He has spent more time with the defense, and the special teams, too. I think he realizes there are three phases to the game and any phase can hurt you.”

MATT BOWEN (S, #41)

On being a spoiler for Dallas’s playoff chances:

“I don’t tend to look at it as being a spoiler. I’m sure people will call it that, but we look at it like we’re having a good time winning. You feel good during practice. You feel good going home from the game. That’s what we play for, to win games.”

On Dallas’s receivers:

"They’re fast. They get down the field well. I said before, I have a lot of respect for Terry Glenn. He’s a good player. And Joey Galloway is the fastest guy in the league. Antonio Bryant is one of the better young receivers, too.”

On the turnovers the defense produced in the last game:

“We did get a lot of turnovers early in that game, but we didn’t get any in the second half. You can’t play one half of football and expect to win. Had we caused one or two in the second half, it’s a different ballgame. But we didn’t do that and that’s why we lost.”

CHAMP BAILEY (CB, #24)

On hoping to beat Dallas after losing to them earlier in the season:

“I try not to look at it as payback, but I want to beat them bad.”

On the feeling the team had finally holding on to a lead last week:

“We’ve had that feeling going into the third quarter or fourth quarter being on top, but at the end of the game that feeling was a lot different when you hold onto a lead and get that win.”

On the confidence level knowing that Coach Spurrier will return next season:

“We have that confidence in the coach and the coach has that confidence in us. It means a lot to the team and how we think around here. It means a lot. You know you’re going to have your coach back and you start with that.”

On the importance of stability for a franchise?

“Oh yeah. It’s very important for any organization."

REGAN UPSHAW (DE, #91)

On why the Redskins aren’t quitting on this season:

“We’re not quitting because we have faith in our head coach. We’re not quitting because we have faith in our defensive coordinator and our coaching staff. I feel like we’re a good team and it’ll only be a matter of time before we start clicking on all cylinders. We haven’t been clicking on all cylinders all the games this year, but when we have, you’ve seen it. We can be explosive. We made plays out of nowhere. You keep guys together long enough and you just continue to get better.”

On the defense’s key to stopping the Cowboys’ offense:

“I think the biggest thing in this game is stopping the run. That’s the foremost thing we have to do as a defensive squad. If we can score some points on offense and get these guys in a position where they have to throw the ball, we’ll have them where we want them. So it’s important to shut down the run and the pass.”

On the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry:

“We don’t like them and they don’t like us. I’ve learned to not like them just by being here.”

On playing the role of spoilers this Sunday against 8-5 Dallas:

“Nobody wants to be spoilers. I’m not really thinking about spoiling their time. I’m thinking about going out and competing and winning the game.”

Archived