Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS Quotes - Gruden, Smith

TK

October 17, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

Statement on NBC Sports Washington Writer Rich Tandler's passing:

"I first want to say, I heard about Rich Tandler today and I just want to say sorry. He was a good man, a good writer, and I offer my condolences to his family… very sad, sad, news today."

On injuries:

"Injury front did not participate was [Troy] Apke; [Jamison] Crowder; [Paul] Richardson, shoulder-knee; [Shawn] Lauvao, calf; [Adrian] Peterson, shoulder-knee, [Brandon] Scherff, knee; and Danny Johnson, forearm. Limited were Chris Thompson, rib and knee and [Ryan] Kerrigan, chest. Everybody else was full."

On the challenge the Dallas Cowboys run scheme presents for DL Jonathan Allen and DL Daron Payne:

"We faced some diverse run schemes already. You don't think New Orleans [Saints] is, but they're very diverse with all the jet sweeps and traps and the toss cracks. Then Carolina [Panthers] comes to town and they have the zone reads and the quarterback powers and all that stuff. We've had some diversity we faced already, but Dallas is another unique-type team. They can line up and bust you between the tackles and they can get outside and the quarterback can run. It's a great challenge for those guys and those guys just have to hold up against Zack Martin (Cowboys guard) and [Joe] Looney (Cowboys center) and those guys on the interior and hopefully free up the linebackers."

On if there are any players who are ruled out for Sunday:

"Nobody definitely, I would say…yeah no. I'd probably say [Troy] Apke. He hasn’t practiced in a while. It's going to take him some time to get back, then [Jamison] Crowder probably.  He's probably the most 'iffy right now of the group but we'll see. There's still some time."

On if LB Ryan Kerrigan's injury was from Sunday's game:

"Yeah I think so, yeah. He practiced on a limited basis. I didn’t know he was hurt until I just saw this list."

On if he will look at film from the Indianapolis Colts game in preparation for Sunday:

"A little bit, but I think we're studying more on what Dallas is and who their players are. You know, we let that one go. You're right, similar type movements upfront we didn’t handle very well but there's some plays that we had for the make and we should make. With Dallas, [Demarcus] Lawrence (Cowboys defensive end) and [David] Irving (Cowboys defensive tackle) and those guys up front, they're pretty good. They're fast, they're physical and they pursue the ball extremely well. They have linebackers [Leighton] Vander Esch (Cowboys linebacker) and obviously Jaylon Smith (Cowboys linebacker) and if Sean Lee (Cowboys linebacker) plays, it can follow the football extremely well."

On if RB Adrian Peterson will be missing practice occasionally from now on:

"I think that will probably be the case whether he's nursing an injury or not. You know, I think he's the type of guy that could use a day here and there."

On DL Stacy McGee and CB Josh Holsey:

"Yeah, I'm hoping Holsey could start tomorrow. We might start his clock tomorrow. Stacy got his first day. He's down a bunch of weight. He looks great. He's in great physical shape. I think he felt a little weird with the pads on for the first time, but I think it's great to get him a good week or maybe two to get him up to speed and get his pads a poppin' and see how he does."

On if McGee will be ready for Sunday:

"Yeah we'll see. We have Caleb [Brantley] here ready to go, but we also might need that spot we're holding for possibly another position depending on how these guys…you know, you look at the list, you can almost see that we're going to have to add somebody somewhere. That's why we needed the spot."

On S Troy Apke:

"No, he came back and he was fine. Then he repulled it in practice. Had I known he was going to repull it in practice, I would’ve put him on IR but I didn’t know that. Hopefully he'll be alright (laughter). These dang rookies, I'll tell ya."

On DL Daron Payne's addition to the defense and stopping the run:

"Yeah, makes a lot of difference, especially when you're last in the league in run defense statistically. I know the last few games really put us over the top. We weren’t that bad for the first handful of games, but when you have a weakness, you have to address it. Daron Payne was what we thought was the best run-stopper and Vita Vea (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) in the draft and we're lucky to get him. Obviously, paid huge consideration for adding a player of that caliber, now if it was just an ordinary guy, we wouldn’t have taken him in the first round. But we felt like he could be a dynamic, not only run player but also help us in the pass rush."

On if Payne has played up to his expectations:

"Yeah no doubt, no doubt, you saw him yesterday or last week. Even though he didn’t have any sacks, he ran down a screen, forced a fumble, he runs to the football, he holds the point of attack extremely well, gets off blocks. He's a good player."

On his message for scoring more points in the second half:

"We've got to do better at halftime of addressing what we need to do to attack the defense. Also, we've just got to do a better job of finishing plays. We've left a lot of plays out there that schematically look to be OK, we're just not finishing. We've just got to do a better job in that regard, try to get in better situations. The Arizona game, we had a pretty big lead, so we kind of hunkered down a little bit, try to run some clock. Same with Green Bay, we tried to work the clock a little bit more, just try and keep Aaron Rodgers over there tying his shoes. Then last week, we had a couple of mishaps, but we've addressed it. Mainly, it's coming in at halftime, getting the coaches together, getting the plan together, how we are going to attack and continue to attack."

On TE Jordan Reed and if he can still be effective when defenses game plan for him:

"Yeah, it's hard to double tight ends. You can do it, but it's hard. Some of these teams that play these zone coverages, it’s a matter of him finding the zone and finding the hole and he's really pretty good at that. He's also good at separating man-to-man but he's really good at finding holes in zones. Sometimes they can roll a coverage to him, or what have you, but he's just got a great knack for finding holes, that’s what makes him so effective. When you're beating zone coverage you have to do that, then beating man-to-man, he can beat the guy, whether it's a safety or a linebacker. He will take that just about any time. We just don’t see a lot of man-to-man, with a few exceptions."

On focusing on consistency and what you can control:

"Yeah, that has an impact. Last year with the offensive line, it had a major impact. This year, some of our skill [positions], you are talking about Chris Thompson and obviously [Jamison] Crowder now, and who else is on this list? Oh, Paul Richardson. When you have a new quarterback working with new receivers and they're not available to practice, it has an effect. Josh Doctson has missed a lot of time here and there, so I think that has had a little bit of an effect. Any quarterback wants to have that continuity and it’s not always perfect. You are going to be working with young receivers or new receivers year in and year out, but throughout the course of the year, you would like to work with the same guys. That hasn’t been the case but we've just got to make do. Guys like 'Mo' Harris have got to step up, Brian Quick, Michael Floyd, who just got here, he's got to step up so that’s the way it is."

On facing a division opponent at this point of the season:

"I don’t think it matters really. I think it's good to get some games under your belt before you face, because they are such important games you know? Division games, we learned, obviously last year going 1-5, how much of an impact that can have on your entire season. But tiebreakers and all that stuff means a lot and obviously being Dallas, you'd like to have, with a new quarterback and some new, young, defensive players, you’d like to have some kind of games under your belt before you reach the Cowboys, so it's good that its Week 6, or 7 whatever it is."

On Dallas Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence:

"I think his relentlessness really. He's a very skilled rusher, but what makes him special is his relentlessness. He can be blocked, he can be doubled and somehow, I don’t know how he does it, he gets through, and not necessarily getting sack after sack after sack, but has a presence and it affects the quarterback a lot. I just think he's very talented, but the way he plays, the effort that he plays with is second to none."

On what concerns him about Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott:

"Well I think number one, we have to gang tackle like always, but I think there is going to be certain defenses where we are going to possibly have a free hitter, whether it's in the hole or within four or five yards, we've got to make the tackle. These one on one tackles against 'Zeke' are easier said than done but that’s what has to happen. Great backs can make the unblocked player miss, or run through him for another five or six yards and that’s what he's done in his career. They get hat-on-a-hat-on-a-hat because there is always a free player coming and that guy has got to make his presence felt and make that tackle, or at least hold him up until guys get off blocks and can make the tackle."

On if Dallas has done anything different coming into this game:

"No, I think they are going through it. I think Dak [Prescott] (Cowboys quarterback) and those guys are going through it a little bit, they have some new receivers too, a couple new lineman, a center, a couple new tight ends because [Jason] Witten (former Cowboys tight end) is not there. It takes some time, I think everybody has expectations we should score 40 points a game. Some teams are doing that right now, but teams with a lot of new players on their roster, some new receivers, new tight ends, it might take some time."

On the teams scoring 40 points a game:

"Well I think some of those teams have a ton of skill, a ton of weapons and they're executing at a very high rate, so that's it."

QB Alex Smith

Statement on NBC Sports Washington Writer Rich Tandler's passing:

"I heard the news about Rich Tandler. I just wanted to obviously offer my thoughts and prayers to his family. You know, I'm obviously pretty sorry to hear about the news."

On the Dallas Cowboys defense:

"Yeah, I think similarities to kind of what they've been the last few years. On film as far as, they don't do a ton. They don't make you prepare. They're not one of these defenses that play eight different coverages or exotic pressures. They're not reinventing anything. But obviously, I think you look at them statistically over the last few years and certainly this year, what they do, they do really well, and they play fast. They're good across the board from a personnel standpoint up front, second level, [and] on the back end. They play together. They play fast and physical, so I think all those things. Sometimes you can watch the film and when you look at some of the numbers, like I said, they don’t [play] all these coverages and things, but the subtleties of what they do really jump out on tape and [they] have had a lot of success doing it."

On building chemistry with WR Maurice Harris and WR Michael Floyd:

"It's the name of the game. At this level, guys have to be ready to roll and have to step up. I think we have that kind of group. Obviously, you named a couple of those guys that have stepped in and haven’t missed a beat helping us, and that's what you have to do. Good teams do that. Guys have to be able to [be the] next man up and you have to roll."

On RB Adrian Peterson adapting to his new role:

"I haven’t asked him. I don’t want to put words in his mouth, so it would be hard for me to say. I think he enjoys not being pigeon holed in a role. I think that can happen to old guys (laugh). You get told what you can and can't do. I think this year thus far has been a great example. I think he can do about everything. Coach has done a good job not limiting him and he's gone out there and made a ton of plays for us."

On if holding the football too long before throwing is a result of being in a new offense:

"There's a lot of things in there, that'd be part of it. I think all those little situations, you know, where you're holding on just a fraction too long or you don't cut it loose. That's the name of the game in the NFL too. That's playing quarterback. I mean there's always going to be pressure, every front, every week's usually pretty good. Timing and anticipation are critical. Yeah, it also has to do with concepts and the defense we're going against, all those things, in-game adjustments. There's a lot that goes into that and cutting that ball loose that fraction earlier. I mean conceptually some things we do that I have a long history with that obviously come very easy and others that [I'm] still new at, still getting the feel for."

On the offensive line facing Dallas' defense that plays a similar defensive front as the Colts:

"I mean, in the run game, yeah, it's not as much. I think the biggest thing is we all have to be on the same page, right, on how we're seeing things, our identification of all the fronts, anticipating what's coming. Not only in the run game, but obviously pass protection as well. I think the biggest thing for us there is preparation through the week, seeing the same things, speaking the same language up there, all being on the same page. I think any time your front… everybody's on the same page good things happen."

On if learning a new offense is a progression or something that is up and down each week:

"I think you hope it's always trending, but there's certainly going to be depending on week to week, yeah there are going to be dips. Some weeks it's going to feel great, you know, I think just depending. A ton goes into that, timing and all these things, when you're getting plays called, what you're getting them against. But I think generally speaking, you hope that you're just consistently trending and getting better. That's the biggest thing. But certainly, week in and week out those challenges change."

On if he will go back and watch the tape from the Indianapolis Colts game to prepare for Dallas:

"Hard to say, I think we have 50-plus snaps of cover two in that game. It's not really what Dallas has been doing. Could they do that? Sure. I think you certainly I mean very similar systems. Obviously he [Colts Defensive Coordinator Matt Eberflus] was there last year so probably a tape they're looking at, something we'll have to get ready for. But like I said, I don’t anticipate them totally copying that I guess."

On figuring out second half struggles:

"I think every single one of those is its own unique situation. It kind of goes back to every week is a different challenge, so to lump them all together is unfair. I think they all happen for different reasons. It's not the same thing going on. Certainly something we want to get remedied though. But, like I said, I think there are a ton of different reasons that change from week to week and each week presents a completely different challenge for us to figure out."

On facing Dallas and the rivalry:

"You said it, every game is huge, division games are even bigger – they almost count for double. But, anytime you have a storied rivalry like this that goes back that long, there is obviously a lot on the line. A lot of history there on both sides, for us, we've got them at home, we've got them here, a chance to get them in our place and take advantage. Certainly, thinking back to this last Sunday and what that looked like in the fourth quarter, FedExField was pretty sweet. It was rocking and we certainly hope to carry that over to this next week. But, we've got to go out and prove it. There is nothing we can really say or talk about, we've just got to go out and do it."

On the win-loss pattern and taking strategies away from practice for this situation:

"I don’t know if it's the week of practice. I've said this before; I've yet to see a lack of effort or work ethic. I mean this team works really, really hard to prepare, going about their business, from top to bottom, the entire building, I'm lumping in to that. I think if anything, you hope, maybe our sense of urgency on the details, the sense of urgency, period, on everything that we are doing. I think that it's only natural as the week goes on that mounts. That's good, I think that’s healthy, it's what you want. Hopefully we can carry that with us."

On TE Jordan Reed's one handed catch and if it changes his ability to throw the football:

"All those plays and the hundreds of other ones he's made in camp, in practice, yeah that gets banked, absolutely, in both of our [memories]. I think you just log all that stuff and no question, when it comes time, that's not a conscious thought you are making, all those little – John [Keim] talked about it earlier, the fraction of a second early. Cutting those things loose, certainly when you have a guy like that who has proven he can make those kinds of plays, has that kind of trust, you turn those balls loose more often than not."

On the fast starts in the first half:

"I think same thing, it would be hard for me to put one thing on that. I think they've been different every week, a lot going into that. Hopefully we keep that going; you love to come out starting fast, getting into a rhythm. Love to play four-quarter football, but obviously this is an NFL game, it's going to be a division game, it's going to be a physical game, hard fought. To expect that it's going to be smooth is unrealistic."

On what he has noticed from WR Josh Doctson:

"I mean, yeah, they [wide receivers] are all different and that’s something that you've been recognizing and you work on going back to April. Josh is a guy I appreciate, obviously, crazy talented, a ton of physical ability, but continues to work, every single day, comes out here and works, works hard. Anytime you check us out on special teams or down time, he's over with us, getting some catches, talking through stuff and as a young receiver, I really appreciate that. Obviously, I think he's got a bright future and kind of continue to work on those little details of the position and our communication."

On Dallas Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence:

"Besides the sacks and the tackles for loss and negative plays and pressure, he's a disruptive player, a really disruptive player. He jumps out on film; he's been doing this now for a couple of years, so he's a guy that certainly commands attention from the opposing offense."

Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett

On if he feels there is anything his team has done especially well in the games versus the Redskins:

"You know, really it's such a challenge every time we play these guys and they're a really well-coached team. They're typically a very balanced team. Every time we play, it seems like the game is a battle. I have no real comment on that other than to say that we're getting ready for another great challenge. They're off to a really good start and they challenge a lot of different ways throughout their football team."

On the key to getting his offense going last week against the Jacksonville Jaguars:

"Well, I think really every week it all starts with the guys up front. I thought we did a good job blocking a very good front both in the running game and the passing game. We were able to run the ball fairly consistently throughout, and we made some big plays in the passing game. In situational football, I think we were better, better on third down, better down in the red zone to cash in on some of the opportunities. But really throughout the game, we were able to sustain drives by mixing the run and the pass and then finish the drives the right way."

On preparing for Washington Redskins TE Jordan Reed:

"I don’t want to talk to the specifics of the scheme, but he's an outstanding football player. We've played against him a lot of times and every time we play against him, you see how productive and dangerous he can be. It's all over the tape. Then once that ball is snapped, we have our hands full. He's a really, really good player. He's quick. He's fast. He's explosive. He's got a great feel as a route runner. He's awfully hard to tackle after the catch, and he's a difference-making player for them."

On Washington Reskins RB Adrian Peterson's season thus far:

"He's played really well. He's obviously one of the elite running backs in really his generation of football. I mean he's been so hard to tackle for so many years and that's really what you see on tape. He's big. He's strong. He's fast. He's quick. He's explosive. He's a natural runner. He finishes runs. He's got a great competitive spirit and you need a lot of guys to tackle him. So, that's certainly what he's done so far for the Redskins. It's really what he's been doing throughout his career."

On what stands out about the growth of DE DeMarcus Lawrence:

"D Law has been someone who really throughout his career with us has been very productive when he's had opportunities. Early on in his career he had some injuries in each of the first couple of seasons, but when he was able to play, he always seemed to be doing good things, and over the last couple of years, he's been able to stay healthy and been able to sustain his performance. He's obviously been very productive rushing the quarterback and sacking the quarterback. He makes a lot of difference making plays in the game, but is also a very good run defender. He takes great pride in that, he's a very good example to the rest of our guys about how to come to work every day and practice and how to play snap in, and snap out. He's really, really grown a lot as a player and we're lucky to have him."

On how DL Daron Payne has changed the Redskins defensive line:

"Well, I think they have a lot of really good guys on their defensive front and they've used a lot of resources here the last few years to draft guys or sign guys and it shows up. The two guys from Alabama [Payne and Jonathan Allen] were guys we really, really liked coming out of school. Easy to see why they were picked as high as they were and they stepped right in and transitioned really well and they make that front that much more stout, both in the run and in terms of affecting the passer, certainly, very good in the front seven and really good throughout their whole defense."

On the decision to stay in D.C. to visit the museums:

"Well, it was something that our players had a lot of interest in, a couple of our guys had been there and it just worked out that we have a bye after our game and obviously Washington is one of the great cities in the world and the capital of the United States and there are so many great monuments and different things you can go see there, so it just seemed to work out from a logistical stand point that we could just stay over after the game and get a chance to go see the museum of African-American history. It is something I've certainly wanted to see, a number of our players wanted to see it, they've heard about it, a handful of guys have been there. We just think it's a great experience for us and a great opportunity that we have as a team."

Archived