Extremeskins

Skins.com:Smith Plans to Retire At End Of Season

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12378

Smith Plans to Retire At End Of Season

12/10/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Bruce Smith said Wednesday that he intends to retire at the end of the season, ending a 19-year career that will certainly earn him a place in the Hall of Fame.

“More than likely, these will be the final three games of my career,” Smith said. “It’s been a long ride and a long haul. But I’m not going to focus on that too much right now. We have a ball game [against Dallas] to prepare for this weekend.”

Smith recorded his 199th career sack in a game against the New York Giants last Sunday, breaking the NFL record held by Reggie White.

SmithSack.jpg

Smith signed with the Redskins prior to the 2000 season. He joined a team that had signed several high-profile free agents to upgrade a defense that been ranked in the bottom half of the league in 1999.

“I made a decision to come here based on what the team had done in previous years and I felt that I could be an impact player in helping this team attain some of its goals,” Smith said. “I think we achieved some of those goals. We brought the defense to a top five ranking [in 2000]. The following year we were ranked tenth and then last year under Marvin Lewis we were ranked fifth.

“That was a goal as well. I wanted to help improve this defense. That goal was attained. But the fact that we didn’t make the playoffs once and possibly win a Super Bowl—that was slightly disappointing. Nothing takes the place of winning a Super Bowl. This is a team-oriented game.”

This season, Smith has served in a part-time role, alternating at right defensive end with Regan Upshaw and coming in mostly on pass-rush downs.

“With this more than likely being my last season, I’d like to [play as much as possible],” he said. “I think when the right situations come about and the calls are made, and the call is made for me to be in the game, I’ll give it 100 percent each and every game.”

Smith’s place in NFL history is assured. The first overall pick of the 1985 NFL Draft out of Virginia Tech, Smith was a dominant defensive end for Buffalo from 1985 through 1999 and helped lead the Bills to four consecutive Super Bowl appearances in the early 1990s. Smith’s best season may have been 1990, when he registered 19 sacks, 101 tackles and four forced fumbles.

The 11-time Pro Bowler also owns NFL records for most double-digit sack seasons (13) and playoff sacks (14.5). He has sacked 74 different quarterbacks, with New York Giants QB Jesse Palmer added to the list last Sunday in the Redskins’ 20-7 victory. Related story: Smith discusses his record-breaking sack after last Sunday's game.

Prior to the Redskins’ final game of the season, a nationally televised Saturday night contest against the Philadelphia Eagles, Smith will be honored in a special ceremony at FedExField.

SMITH'S LISTS

Regular Season

Sacks By Team

New York Jets...31

Indianapolis...25

New England...21

Miami...15

Houston/Tennessee...12

St. Louis Rams...10

Philadelphia...10

Denver...7.5

New York Giants...7