Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Sally Jenkins chat transcript

TK

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/03/auto_r_magazine_jenkins120803.htm#NOW

Post staff writer Sally Jenkins, whose cover story, 'Will the Real Patrick Ramsey Please Stand Up' appeared in Sunday's Washington Post Magazine, will be online Monday, Dec. 8 at 1 p.m. ET to field questions and comments.

Submit your questions and comments before or during the discussion.

Jenkins is a columnist for the Sports section.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Live Online discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sally Jenkins: Hi everybody, thanks for showing up and using your valuable office time to chat.

Springfield, Va.: Hi Sally,

After reading your article I came away with the impression that Patrick Ramsey's toughness might also be his eventual downfall. The cumulative effect of all the hits he has taken this year have robbed him of his already limited mobility. He has already suffered at least one concussion. I look at someone like Troy Aikman whose body just couldn't take the pounding anymore but at least Aikman had many productive years. The rate that Patrick is getting hit, he will only last a few.

Sally Jenkins: The most oft spoken word by QBs in the NFL these days is "Unnnnhhhhhh." The long term effect is the one that's truly worrisome, because if Ramsey keeps getting hit this way, his chances of doing a John ELway decline significantly, and his chances of doing a Chris Miller increase.

Bethesda, Md.: If Hasselback wins two out of the next three games, do we have a QB controversy on our hands?

Sally Jenkins: Um, I think we do. Yes. They have very different qualities; Hasselbeck can move and get rid of the ball quicker, but Ramsey has that marvelous arm and can make all the throws, and his efficiency in the red zone is terrific. You get that guy near the goal line, and he finds someone open. Hasselbeck has been less efficient in terms of capitalizing, but on the other hand, he has mustered 20 points twice now.

Reston, Va.: Despite the public denials by Skins coaches, I have this horrible feeling that Spurrier is going to soften his commitment to Ramsey after Hasselbeck's play. Do you think this is a possibility, even with all of Ramsey's promise?

Sally Jenkins: I think Spurrier has to be delighted that he's found a reliable qb to relieve Ramsey, and it's a simple fact of life in the league these days that the guy who starts in the season opener won't neceesarily be the season closer. That's true everywhere, not just on Spurrier's team, because QBs simply get so hurt and worn down. I don't see Spurrier being too impatient with Ramsey; the guy is the most talented player he's ever coached at the position, and does everything Spurrier asks. I just think Spurrier will do what he has to do to win nine or more games next season.

Herndon, Va.: Great article!! Did either Mr. or Mrs. Ramsey indicate at any time they have thought about a trade to a team which might be able to protect Patrick better?

Sally Jenkins: Never once. The Ramseys aren't the Warners.

Northwest Washington, D.C.: Over the course of the season people have observed that after Ramsey is sacked or knocked down, his teammates often don't offer him a hand up. This, along with the offence's seemingly improved performance under Tim Hasselbeck have led some people to feel that the team is not with Ramsey. What is your feeling on this?

Sally Jenkins: I'm baffled by that, because Jon Jansen is Ramsey's best friend on the team. My guess is that the line has been embarassed or frustrated at times by what happened to Ramsey, and it has nothing to do with lack of sympathy.

Richmond, Va.: Given Tim Hasselbeck's performance, do you sense any concern either on Ramsey's part or the organizations' part that there may be a quarterback controversy brewing? I surely would hope not. Any chance Patrick plays again this season?

Sally Jenkins: I think people were more concerned about a QB controversy when Danny Wuerffel was here, because the general feeling was that Wuerffel wasn't a long term answer for the Skins, and was more of a Spurrier indulgence. In this case, I think the SKins are just glad to have two good players at the position -- that hasn't happened around here in a LONG time. I do think Ramsey's agent, Jimmy Sexton, has been concerned about defending his client from the Spurrier hook, and might have even lobbied Snyder on the issue to protect his guy. But I think Spurrier is misunderstood in this area. He doesn't bench good, hard-working quarterbacks. He only benches the ones who are mistake prone or insubordinate, or simply having a lousy day.

Pittsburgh, Pa.: Sally,

Great article on Ramsey, I must say those "southern" QB's are built "Ford Tough." Maybe, just maybe, he turn out to be like that #4 who just can't be kept down either. It seems like he has a similar arm.

But I want to know if he has learned how to get rid of the ball quicker by watching Hasselbeck from the sidelines? I mean he tries to make plays downfield, but he also needs to take pressure of his O-Line, his wife, and his body and THROW THE BALL AWAY sometimes.

Also the $1 million dollar question all around town is how is the foot? Will he shut it down for the season?

Sally Jenkins: Yeah, I think you're right on the money. Last year the concern was that the Skins qbs, chiefly Shane Mathews, were dumping off the ball and not letting plays develop, but now Ramsey is almost a pendulum in the opposite direction. I think standing in has been Ramsey's strength over the years at Tulane, and it's a hard habit for him to break. Whether he cures himself will probably determine whether he becomes the "great" QB.

Arlington, Va.: You've taken a lot of flack from your colleague Michael Wilbon about living in New York. Do you find when you do pieces about D.C. players, you bend over backwards to show your true colors of burgundy and gold?

Sally Jenkins: HAHAHA!! My colleague Wilbon is also one of my best friends in the business and we give each other endless heat on a variety of topics. As for burgundy and gold, I am dispassionate, if not disinterested. I prefer to watch college ball. I do like watching the SKins at the moment, because I think the Spurrier hire is a great experiment, and even when they're bad, they're sort of tumultuously bad, which is an improvement over Shottenheimer-bad, which was so deadly boring.

Rockville, Md: I thoroughly enjoyd your piece on Ramsey. It tells alot about a player who isn't willing, at least in public, to blame the offensive line for his being sacked upteen times. My question is: these guys must have some talent or they wouldn't have been signed to play. Do they not have faith in their quarterback? Also, is Snyder such a poor judge of player talent that he picks people solely on what their salary might be?

Sally Jenkins: I'm not sure of the answer to that. I don't know if the team has total faith yet in Ramsey, but I don't know if they have faith in Spurrier, or Snyder, either. I think what we may be watching is a roster of players who can't quite decide if they've bought in to the franchise. This may be a result of the fact that a full third of the roster turns over every season, with Snyder's frantic management style. I think the one thing the Redskins need to do is find an experienced PROFESSIONAL personnel guy. So far, the personnel moves are one step up and two steps back: they bring in a game breaker in Coles, but ruin their defense, getting rid of any shadow of a pass rush.

Ashburn, Va.: Is Patrick Ramsey done for the season?

Sally Jenkins: Good question. The Skins, and Ramsey have a decision to make. Is it smarter to let him sit out and have surgery now, and save his confidence? Or do you throw him back out there on a bad wheel, because he needs more game experience, at risk of getting him pummelled again, and potentially ruining his decision-making? It's a toughie.

Charlotte, N.C.: I think that if Patrick had the time and protection that Hasslebeck has been getting we would be lokking at 7-5 and not a 5-7 record. What do you think? And why do you the protection is so much better?

Sally Jenkins: I think that the Skins made some good offensive adjustments at the same time Ramsey got hurt -- fewer audibles, shorter routes, and more comitted to the running game in order to beat the blitzes -- and Hasselbeck has been the beneficiary. Also, I think Ramsey was not playing very well when the foot thing happened.

Washington, DC: Hi. I really enjoyed the article and reading your column. Something that struck me as I read the article is that when you wanted to point out that Ramsey isn't choir boy "nice," you mentioned his hunting or gun ownership. Specifically, the transition that goes along the lines of: if you think he's a nice guy, ask the deer. It then reappears in the Valentine's Day anecdote. Was there supposed to be an anti-gun/hunting undercurrent in the article, or am I reading something into it that was not intended?

Sally Jenkins: I think you read too much into it: carrying a gun doesn't make Ramsey tough. Crouching in a deer blind for several hours in the freezing cold and being the last guy indoors does indicate a certain physical durability, and that's all I meant. It's that "country" tough thing. But it doesn't make him any tougher necessarily than Laveranues Coles or Jon Jansen or Trung Canidate.

Washington: Speaking of great quarterbacks, could your next piece be on Sonny Jurgensen and what a bitter know-it-all he seems to have become?

Sally Jenkins: I revere Sonny. I would never say that about him. He knows more than most people, and has earned the right to say whatever he wants.

Falls Church, Va.: Ms. Jenkins:

I enjoy all your articles in the Post, particularly the recent one in which you placed the Redskins' problems at the feet of the owner. I thought it was one of the most well thought-out and well positioned pieces I had read on the subject. Have you received any feedback on it from the Redskins' hierarchy?

Sally Jenkins: I heard rumors that there was upset from the owner's office at Redskins Park, but that's unconfirmed and I never heard any response firsthand. I do know you won't find a copy of the article in the Skins archives. I really believe that until Snyder settles down as an owner and stops trying to make roster decisions, they will struggle. It's my suspicion and opinion that Snyder might rather be a hands-on owner of an 8-8 team than a hands-off owner of a winner.

Washington D.C.: Do you think the Redskins will pursue Warren Sapp next year?

Sally Jenkins: I have no clue but I bet Wilbon knows that answer to that. It's certainly what they need.

Clifton, Va.: Pass and run blocking is remarkedly better for Hasselbeck.. Is there any resentment (except for Jansen) by the line/team over Ramsey's holdout last year?

Sally Jenkins: I really don't think players blame other players for holdouts. They blame owners and managers for not paying up.

Ducktown, Tennessee: Sally,

Love the work you have done with Lance -- the best stuff an athlete and writer has put out. Not sure if I'll be able to tune into Monday's discussion or not but I will check the transcript if possible.

My question is about a follow-up to a story Lance told in "In Every Second Counts." What happend to the brother of Bart Knaggs? Did he survive?

Thanks,

- Joe Jacobi

Sally Jenkins: Hi, David Knaggs is hanging in there, altho he has had setbacks.

Raleigh, N.C.: Ms. Jenkins, what a terrific, terrific article. As a long-suffering Redskins fan (is there any other kind?), your piece had me feeling hopeful. One thing I wonder, though, about "Young Patrick:" exactly how much support has he shown for Coach Spurrier? Does he have mixed feelings or is he solidly behind the coaching staff?

Thanks!

Sally Jenkins: At least to me, Ramsey expresses support for Spurrier. Says he's a mad genius who really can draw up plays on the spur of the moment.

D.C. transplant, now near San Francisco, Calif.: Hi Sally,

For the last several weeks, the 'Skins have been scrambling to fill the backfield with healthy bodies, even talking about picking someone up off wires. But what about Sultan McCollough? He was all the talk early on, about how he'd climbed up the ranks to earn an unexpected spot on the team, and seemed to do well when given a chance (Dallas), but now he seems to have all but disappeared? I probably won't be able to be online when you are, but if there's any way to send a reply to: plottale-hotmail.com, this die-hard 'Skins fan would sure appreciate it! THANKS!

Sally Jenkins: Mccoullough broke his hand early. This is exactly why Spurrier wanted to keep Kenny Watson on the roster. Watson was one of their better blockers, very reliable. And I think it's contributed to some of their problems picking up blitzes.

Clearwater, Fla.: Sally, thanks for taking my question. I believe Ramsey has the makings of a very good quarterback, however, I think the coaches need to concentrate on getting the play that is called executed versus the emphasis on audibles. Can they adopt a philosphy that highlights plan execution versus always trying to get the perfect play called?

Sally Jenkins: I think that's exactly what the coaches have done the past three weeks, and they looked a LOT better offensively, good enough to win. Finally they held a lead against the Giants.

Bethesda, Md.: First let me say, outstanding article... Is it possible for the Redskins to read this piece because it personally made me feel better about this season and what a quality individual/player Ramsey really is. Do you agree the Redskins (as a team) should take a cue from this and, not only finish this season as best they can, but to not blow the team up in the offseason and give Spurrier and Co. another shot at being successful? It seems the pieces are there, just not in place yet.

Sally Jenkins: I think they are one offseason away from nine wins -- if it's the right kind of offseason. If you look back at 4-8, they're were very close to reversing the results in at least four or five of those loses.

Rockport, Mass. (displaced Virginian in 38 inches of snow): Sally,

Great article on Ramsey, thanks.

Your opinion please:

Is it safe to say if Wuerffle had not been jettisoned (against Spurrier's wishes), it would of been a different year for Ramsey as he would of continued his training under Spurrier's defacto QB coach. Whereas now, as one example, we have had to endure watching seasoned pro-bowl line veterans confused and out of place trying to decipher head-set audibles.

Also, do you think with his own approaching deadline of three years, Spurrier will now tell Mr. Snyder this is the end of being a "Tall Hat with no Cattle... let me call all the shots in 2004?"

One last footnote...

One of my neighbors here in the North Shore of Massachusetts is now bragging that Tim Hasselbeck worked on her roof.

Sally Jenkins: I don't think Spurrier ever wanted to make personnel decisions, and thought he'd be working with Bobby Beathard. But that didn;t work out, so now he has to get more involved. What will be interesting to see is whether Spurrier can make the right decisions -- and whether Snyder will LET him make his own decisions.

District Heights, Md.: At the beginning of the this year's 2003 NFL season, I felt that if anybody could lead the Redskins to the playoffs this year, Patrick Ramsey would be the one. He has determination. Yet, I hope that his loyalty to the team is intact. He's too young not to be able to see his receivers when he throws the ball. Is it a lack of timing or inability to be flexible enough to execute at the game what was practiced ?

The Redskins have lost quite a few good quaterbacks (and other players) to other NFL teams who have gone on to achieve at least moderate success. Is there something lacking in what's attractive to the quaterbacks and other prominent players on the team? Are their enough incentives (not only money) to motivate the Redskins and keep their spirits intact? Thanks.

Sally Jenkins: The Skins made some bad decisions. Brad Johnson was terrific, and they flat dumped him. For who? Jeff George. This is a franchise that has absolutely sabotaged itself at times with personnel decisions.

Ramsey looks like a terrific talent, but he's learning on the job and we'll see next season whether he's the genuine article. He's certainly got the guts and the dedication.

Sally Jenkins: okay folks, gotta go, thanks for talking.

Archived