Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT:199th Sack Puts Smith On Top Of List

TK

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/sports/football/08WASH.html?ex=1071464400&en=f272c65c3cdf8a02&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

199th Sack Puts Smith On Top Of List

By FRANK LITSKY

Published: December 8, 2003

AST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Dec. 7 — In 19 seasons in the N.F.L., Bruce Smith has been one of the sport's most feared pass rushers. He has sacked quarterbacks like John Elway, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Joe Montana and Phil Simms and 70 or so others, including some whose names are remembered mostly by trivia hounds.

On Sunday, when Smith threw Jesse Palmer of the Giants for a 7-yard loss midway through the fourth quarter, he became pro football's career sack leader. It was his 199th sack, breaking a tie with Reggie White. An hour later, showered and dressed after the Redskins' 20-7 victory, Smith was still in a daze.

"It was a special moment," he said. "I don't know how I'm feeling. God is good."

Earlier, Smith knocked quarterback Kerry Collins from the game on a play that ended in a delay-of-game penalty on the Giants.

Like an Oscar winner, Smith thanked almost everyone he could think of, including three orthopedic surgeons, a former coach (Marv Levy) and a former general manager (Bill Polian).

The record-breaking sack was typical Smith, a result of cleverness and physical gifts. At 6 feet 4 inches and 262 pounds, he still has the quickness that has helped elect him to 11 Pro Bowls.

He may be 40, but he is wiser and better than young offensive linemen like 25-year-old Ian Allen of the Giants. Smith's record sack came against the blocking (or nonblocking) of Allen.

"I was rushing outside all day," Smith said. "I believe he was in slide protect and he dinked me, and that was a mistake because I have a good inside move.

"I beat him inside and the quarterback was sitting right there. When he went down, I thought he threw the ball, and then when I saw him and he had the ball in his hand, I knew it was done."

So did the other Redskins. They rushed onto the field to congratulate Smith and rescued the game ball for him.

At the start of the season, Smith's tailor gave him a box to be opened when the record was broken. In the locker room after the game, Smith opened it and found a burgundy robe. On the front, in script, were the words "All Time." On the back was a Redskins logo.

Smith modeled the robe for cheering teammates. Although he started 259 of a possible 263 pro games before the season, he is now a backup to the younger Regan Upshaw, but teammates respect him for his enthusiasm and his leadership.

"I love the way he plays," Upshaw said. "He knows exactly what he wants to do, and he knows what the offensive lineman wants to do before the lineman knows himself. He's talked about this record. He came back this season because he had unfinished business."

This has been a trying season for the 5-8 Redskins, and Jeremiah Trotter, the middle linebacker, said Smith had helped keep it from being worse.

"He's played in four Super Bowls," Trotter said, "and he knows what it takes to win. When things are going bad here, he's the one who takes over and says we've got to come together."

Smith, after 15 seasons with the Buffalo Bills, is in his fourth season with the Redskins. Coach Steve Spurrier says Smith is playing about half of the defensive plays, but Smith recently complained about not playing enough. He would not talk about next season, and there may be no next season for him.

With his record sack, however, this season took a turn for the better. After the game, he received a modified Gatorade tribute. Courtesy of Upshaw, a bucket of water was dumped on him.

"I've never been doused with cold water before," Smith said. "Now I know what those coaches feel."

Archived