Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Ramsey 'very doubtful'

TK

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20031204-113759-5007r.htm

Ramsey 'very doubtful'

By Mark Zuckerman

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

One day after slipping on his injured right foot and making a brief trip to the hospital, Washington Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey again was unable to practice yesterday, leaving his status for Sunday's game against the New York Giants "very doubtful," according to coach Steve Spurrier.

Ramsey continues to hold out hope that his fractured and bruised foot will heal to the point he can play this weekend and beyond, but the likelihood of that happening seems to be diminishing daily. The second-year quarterback has not been able to make it through a full practice in three weeks.

"My goal is to play, but I've got to be able to practice to be effective," Ramsey said. "That's the toughest thing. ... It's a frustrating process. I'm trying to do all I can to get out there and play."

Backup Tim Hasselbeck again took all the snaps in practice and continues to approach this week as if he will make his second career start.

"I just need to prepare to play as if I'm the guy," said Hasselbeck, who went 22 of 42 for 231 yards in the Redskins' 24-20 loss to New Orleans on Sunday. "That's just how it's going to be from here on out. I think getting the reps in practice really helps."

Confined yesterday to watching his teammates while hobbling around the field in a protective boot, Ramsey will attempt one last time to practice today before ruling himself out of the Giants game.

"We'll see what he looks like [today]," Spurrier said. "But if there's no improvement, he's very doubtful for the game."

Whether Ramsey is able to return at all in the season's final four weeks remains uncertain. Doctors have assured him he can do no further damage to his foot by playing, but Ramsey concedes he's running out of time before a decision must be made to shut him down until next season.

"That's going to be up to the training staff," he said. "At that point, it's going to be disappointing just because there will be three games left, and at that point it's tough to say when I'm going to be better. ... It just won't go away. It's going to take a little more than staying off it for a week for it to get better."

Ramsey has been told he will need surgery once his season is over. The procedure, he maintains, is a routine one that would keep him idle for only "a couple of months."

Notes — Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson won't be leaving for Duke University. The school has offered its coaching job to interim coach Ted Roof, according to several published reports. Jackson interviewed for the position last week, along with former NFL and Maryland coach Bobby Ross and Colgate coach Dick Biddle. ...

Along with Ramsey, tackle Chris Samuels and kick returner Chad Morton did not practice. Samuels will miss his second straight game with a sprained knee. Morton has been battling the flu the last two days, but the club believes he will be better Sunday. Wide receiver Rod Gardner (bruised arm) returned to practice after missing Wednesday. ...

New Orleans Saints tailback Deuce McAllister was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week following his 165-yard rushing performance against Washington. McAllister is the fifth Redskins opponent to earn player of the week honors this season, joining Miami defensive end Jason Taylor, New York Giants quarterback Kerry Collins, Tampa Bay quarterback Brad Johnson and defensive end Simeon Rice.

Archived