Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woody:REDSKINS NOTES

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031772462411&path=!sports!redskins&s=1045855935462

REDSKINS NOTES

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Friday, December 5, 2003

SMOOT STEPS UP: Cornerback Fred Smoot refuses blame anyone but the players for the Redskins' 4-8 record.

"We have to be more accountable," he said. "It's us. We're not winning the games. You have to look in the mirror sometimes. The coaches can't go out and play the games for us. We're the ones who can change the record.

"It's all of us. All 55 of us."

Smoot's math was suspect there. NFL rosters contain 53 players.

"I don't think any of us are free from making mistakes," Smoot said. "I think we have to take accountability for what's happening."

As several other players have done, Smoot came to the defense of defensive coordinator George Edwards. The defense is ranked 25th, and Edwards is taking the heat for that.

"George Edwards is doing a wonderful job," Smoot said. "You can't tell that because we're not winning."

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Each week, Sports Illustrated features a different state and writes about its unique interest in sports. One piece of the report offers sports fans in the state to list their primary "Enemy of the State."

So far, Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier has been the primary "Enemy of the State" in Alabama, Tennessee and Louisiana.

Spurrier has not done enough to make enemies of any NFL team or fans, but his swashbuckling ways as the football coach at the University of Florida have not been forgotten by the fans of teams in the Southeastern Conference.

The one coach in the league who has been a victim of Spurrier's previously sharp tongue is Jim Haslett of the New Orleans Saints. When Spurrier resigned at Florida because he wanted to try his coaching style and philosophy in the NFL, he was asked if he thought he would need to spend more time at the office.

Spurrier said that Haslett was sleeping in his office and that it wasn't doing him a lot of good. As fate would have it, the Redskins and Saints have played twice since Spurrier took the job. The Saints have won both times. Haslett said Spurrier's remark does not give him any extra incentive when he's preparing for the Redskins.

"I don't worry about stuff like that," Haslett said. "I know coach Spurrier is a great coach. I respect what he's done and think he does a nice job. I know there is a lot of pressure on him."

RUMORS ABOUND: Each week, the rumors and questions concerning Spurrier's future increase. Owner Dan Snyder is on the record saying he wants Spurrier to finish out his five-year contract with the team. Spurrier has given no indication he plans to resign, although he looks a bit more miserable and numb after each loss. Spurrier has been consistent in saying he thinks he's done about everything he can do at the college level. Still, the rumors persist that Spurrier will be a college coach again next year.

The latest rumor had Spurrier in Lincoln, Neb., Tuesday night, talking to University of Nebraska officials about their football opening.

"You all have got to quit believing all that stuff," Spurrier said. "I can honestly say this is as far north as I'll probably ever get."

KENYATTA, WE BARELY KNEW YOU: A week ago, the Redskins signed offensive tackle Kenyatta Jones, who had been released by the New England Patriots. This week, Jones was put on injured reserve with a torn right pectoralis muscle.

Jones' spot on the roster was taken by Daryl Terrell. Terrell, 6-4 and 327, started nine games for the Jacksonville Jaguars last season. - Paul Woody

Archived