WP:Hasselbeck Likely to Get A Second Straight Start

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36352-2003Dec4.html

Hasselbeck Likely to Get A Second Straight Start

Sore Foot Could End QB Ramsey's Season

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, December 5, 2003; Page D03

The Washington Redskins planned yesterday to give Tim Hasselbeck a second straight start at quarterback when they face the New York Giants on Sunday at Giants Stadium. Patrick Ramsey was unable to practice, a day after aggravating the injury to his right foot, and said that he and the club's medical staff soon will have to discuss whether he should end his season early.

I36671-2003Dec04Tim Hasselbeck will likely make the second start of his career Sunday against the Giants.

Ramsey, who is facing offseason surgery to repair the injured fifth metatarsal on the outside of his foot, also acknowledged he is concerned about hurting his arm because of the adjustments that he has had to make when he throws to compensate for his ailing foot. But he and Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier weren't quite ready to end the second-year quarterback's season.

"My goal is to play, but I've got to be able to practice to be able to be effective," Ramsey said. "That's the toughest thing is the difficulty to be effective throwing the football just because I can't push off of that foot. . . . It just won't go away. It's going to take a little more than just staying off of it for a week for it to get better."

Spurrier said it was "very doubtful" that Ramsey would play against the Giants. Ramsey had hoped to return to the lineup Sunday after sitting out most of the past two games. He returned to the practice field Wednesday but reinjured his foot. Yesterday he had his foot back in a protective boot and was not in uniform as he watched practice.

"It's sore," Ramsey said. "I planted [Wednesday] and slipped, kind of fell, and reaggravated it. It's a frustrating process. I'm trying to do all I can to play." Ramsey said he "felt good" throwing the ball Wednesday but conceded he was "guarded" as he tried to plant his foot to throw. He had said at the beginning of this week that if his midweek return to practice was unsuccessful, he likely would talk to his doctors by this weekend to determine whether he should sit out the remainder of the season and undergo surgery immediately.

Yesterday Ramsey said that conversation probably will take place soon. The Redskins can be officially eliminated from the playoffs as soon as this weekend, and will have only three games left after they play the Giants.

"I think that's going to be up to the trainers and staff," Ramsey said. "I felt a little bit better [Wednesday]. I was throwing decently. And then I reaggravated it, so I don't know where it is now.I'd like to go out there and practice just to see how effective I can be with the pain I have in it now. Like I said before, it's not an issue with tolerating the pain. It's an issue with actually being able to throw."

Spurrier said that, because he's been advised by the team's doctors that Ramsey cannot worsen his foot injury by playing, he does not necessarily feel a need to end Ramsey's season prematurely.

"He's undoubtedly going to need surgery once the season is over to get it fixed properly," Spurrier said. "But again, we've got four games. I think Patrick wants to play before the season is over. So we'll sort of go week by week to see where he is, most likely." The concern is that Ramsey's altered throwing mechanics could put a strain on another area of his body and produce an injury.

"I think that's a very valid concern because my shoulder could get sore. My back could get sore and hurt things because I'm torquing my body a lot harder than I would be," Ramsey said. "I'm not throwing as smoothly as I would be if I was able to push and transfer that momentum to my arm. . . . I'm throwing a little jerkier than I was just because I have to. That's the only way I can get the ball out."

The quarterback said he has been told by doctors that the surgery on his foot will be routine.

"It's something that will keep me from being able to do much for a couple months, but I should be fine," Ramsey said. "It's something that is regularly done."

Redskins Notes: Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said he was informed by Duke University officials yesterday morning that he won't be hired as the school's next head coach. Duke plans to retain interim coach Ted Roof.

"I thought it was a great process to go through," said Jackson, who interviewed for the job last week. "I really appreciate [Redskins owner] Dan Snyder and Coach Spurrier allowing me to do it. I have a great job here. I wasn't seeking the job. They called me. I didn't call them. It's good to be thought of that way, but I think I have one of the best jobs there is in the NFL." . . .

Kick returner Chad Morton had the flu, according to Spurrier, and missed yesterday's practice.

Archived