• Sign Mark Brunell and develop Hasselbeck as the # QB
    • Do not sign Brunell, and make Hasselbeck the #2 QB
    • Sign another veteran QB and let Hasselbeck and Hamdan fight it out for #3

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12352

For Armstead, A 'Special' Return

12/04/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Linebacker Jessie Armstead has been decidedly low-key this week. The former New York Giant is as disappointed as anyone that this Sunday’s matchup between the Redskins and Giants—two 4-8 teams in the midst of disappointing seasons—doesn’t have a great deal of meaning as far as the NFL standings are concerned.

ArmsteadShock_Title.jpg

In a conference call with New York reporters on Wednesday, he even jokingly said he wanted to turn Sunday’s game into a “Super Bowl” for the two teams. That’s how bad he wanted this Redskins-Giants game to mean something at this juncture of the season, when teams are making their playoff runs.

Armstead played nine seasons with the Giants, earned five Pro Bowl berths and was a key contributor to the team’s Super Bowl run in 2000. He has countless memories of people and events at Giants Stadium.

Nonetheless, he’ll be geared up to win Sunday’s game—just as he always has in his career.

“This is a special game, but I won’t be up for the Giants more than another team,” he said. “If you get up for one team and not as much for another team, there’s something wrong with that player. You might have more emotion before that first snap, but after that first snap, you are who you are. And that’s how the game is played.”

Armstead, a native of Dallas, has played in the NFL for 11 years—the last two with the Redskins—he is a respected and dependable veteran on the football field.

He earned praise this week from Giants head coach Jim Fassel, who coached him from 1997-2001.

“Jessie is a competitor,” Fassel said. “As Father Time wears on all players, you probably won’t see it on Jessie. He’s a fierce competitor. Everybody, as the years go by in this league, loses a step because of the pounding you take. The injuries mount. The guys you see that can make up for that are the great competitors, and Jessie is one of the all-time great competitors.”

For the 2003 season, Armstead has 77 tackles (51 solo) and 3.5 sacks. He is on pace for his eighth 100-tackle season in the last nine years. This year, his signature play came in Week 2 when he spotted a gap in the Atlanta Falcons’ pass protection scheme. He burst through the line and sacked quarterback Doug Johnson in the Falcons’ end zone for his first career safety.

Even though Sunday’s game against the Giants lacks meaning as far as the NFL standings are concerned, Armstead still intends to play with a purpose. After 11 seasons—and 124 consecutive starts heading into Sunday’s contest—he recognizes that retirement may not be too far off. He has set a high standard for himself throughout his career.

“You play to win, but you also have to play for the name on the back of your jersey,” he said. “You don’t want to mess up something that has taken so many years to build up. Not in the last four games of the season.”

Playing at Giants Stadium one more time will be special for Armstead.

“Anytime I go up there, all the things I’ve done and the great memories in that stadium, it’s a big deal for me,” he said. “I’m going up there to play a football game as a Redskin, but to see some of my friends—the players, the trainers, even the secretaries—who I haven’t played with in a year-and-a–half, it will be special.”

The Weather Outside Is…

With a winter storm bearing down on the east coast this afternoon, players and coaches were bundled up during Thursday’s practice. Weather could also play a factor in Sunday’s game. A mix of wind, rain and snow are predicted for the New York area on Friday and Saturday. Sunday’s conditions are expected to be windy with a high of about 37 degrees.

Said head coach Steve Spurrier: “We’d rather have snow than wind and a cold, icy rain. I think all football players would prefer just a few snowflakes. Whatever it is, it is. Both teams play in the same conditions.”

Spurrier suggested that if Tim Hasselbeck starts for injured quarterback Patrick Ramsey on Sunday, he might have an advantage in cold weather situations because he was accustomed to it growing up in New England.

“Being from Boston College, Tim’s used to playing in cold weather,” Spurrier said. “This cold weather is natural for him. He was throwing the ball beautifully today.”

Extra Points

Left tackle Chris Samuels did not practice Thursday and remains doubtful for Sunday’s game. First-year player Brandon Winey, who earned praise from Spurrier for his performance last week against the Saints, would start in his place for the second game in a row. Complete Injury Report

Lennie Friedman got the bulk of reps at center with the first team offensive line. Larry Moore has returned to practice after missing the last four games with a sprained foot. The coaching staff appearsF to be gradually working Moore back into the lineup.

Archived