WP/Solomon:Redskins Misery Loves Company, Even Once Removed

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21407-2003Nov29.html

I26195-2003Sep4

Redskins Misery Loves Company, Even Once Removed

By George Solomon

Sunday, November 30, 2003; Page E02

Question time, sports fans:

Which NFL figure was quoted in the Los Angeles Times this week as saying: "I'm as miserable as I've ever been. This is frustrating."?

Would it be Steve Spurrier, whose Redskins blew a 13-point lead in the fourth quarter last Sunday night and lost to Miami, 24-23, falling to 4-7 on top of last year's 7-9 record.?

Would it be 40-year-old, future Hall of Famer Bruce Smith, who tied the NFL career sack record (198) in that game, but still complained to the owner afterward that he wasn't getting enough playing time? Bruce, trust me on this: think buyout, pension and condo, not more time on the field.

Would it be All-Everything cornerback Champ Bailey, who recently rejected the team's nine-year, $55-million contract extension and a $14.5 million signing bonus and this week said defensive coordinator George Edwards had better remain in place, or else? This declaration, despite Champ being a major part of a defense that collapsed in the fourth quarter of the last two games when a single clutch stop or turnover could have won either game.

Would it be Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, who in nearly five seasons of owning and running this billion dollar sports/entertainment empire, has made the playoffs once?

The surprise answer to the initial question is none of the above, but San Diego Chargers Coach Marty Schottenheimer, with a 2-9 record, and who coached the Redskins for one year (2001) before being fired by Snyder for Spurrier.

The state of the Redskins has many Washington-area football fans sharing Marty's pain and psyche -- and what does that say when he speaks for us?

What it says is this: When the Redskins take the field today to play New Orleans, many of their fans in the stands and watching on television will be in a foul mood, wondering when the never-ending preseason ballyhoo over the annual addition of New Faces will result in a winning season.

Last Sunday in Miami, Tim Hasselbeck played well enough (with help from the offensive line) in relief of injured Patrick Ramsey to win, if he hadn't been instructed (baseball lingo coming) by his mentor to swing for the fences in the fourth quarter when a couple of more singles might have sufficed. Hasselbeck starts against the Saints, except it won't matter unless LaVar and Champ make some plays.

As for Marty, don't know what to do to make him happier.

On Second Thought, It's Still a Tie

I originally -- and mistakenly -- thought it was classy when captains Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player agreed to share the truly riveting Presidents Cup after the U.S. and International teams ended four days of competition in South Africa tied at 17, and Tiger Woods and Ernie Els were square after three playoff holes as darkness descended on the course.

"A fabulous experience among friends representing different flags," said the International's Nick Price, according to Bob Verdi of Golf World.com. "What difference does it make, where the Cup goes?" countered Nicklaus.

But after reading Verdi and other reports from South Africa, as well as chatting up area cynics (John Feinstein already has finished his latest quickie book "A Good Trip Spoiled"), I wondered why they didn't begin the final day earlier, or delay the charter carrying the U.S. golfers by 12 hours, or find two players willing to stay over a day and let everyone else leave?

If you're going to play the game, finish the game. And the folks who run the Presidents Cup when it comes to RTJ at Lake Manassas in 2005 might ask the guys from both sides for that assurance before selling the first ticket.

Mourning Carries On

Georgetown grad Alonzo Mourning's retirement this week from the New Jersey Nets because of a kidney disorder ended a stellar 12-year career in the NBA. Mourning, 33, who needs a kidney transplant, expressed frustration with his teammates' work ethic only a week ago. He had his greatest success under Pat Riley in Miami. Throughout his career, he improved as a player and grew as a person off the court, undertaking a number of worthwhile civic projects.

You have to like this year's BB&T Classic matchups of highly ranked Gonzaga facing young and talented Maryland and West Virginia going against young and talented George Washington Saturday at MCI Center, with the winners and losers playing next Sunday. How come so many teams are always young and talented? Don't the young and talented ever get old and talented?

Why does it seem like the Wizards have been on the road for a month? And why do I think the 2003-04 Capitals may be taking their 30th anniversary celebration a little far, playing too much like the first edition of the Caps (8-67-5).

A nod, please, to Craig Jefferies coaching Dunbar's Crimson Tide to its fifth DCIAA football championship in six years with a 33-20 victory over Ballou in the Turkey Bowl.

The secret to Dunbar's success? "We try to keep the kids involved in our program all year," Jefferies said Friday. "Show the kids we care. We also have a great coaching staff, with most of the guys volunteers or sharing salaries."

Key players? Tackle Kevin Wiggins, center Dion Mathews, defensive back Leroy Jackson and linebacker Chris Harden, Jefferies said.

Farewell

I lost a reader last Saturday, when my brother Harry, 70, died in Atlanta of cancer of the esophagus. Decades before Fantasy Leagues, when we were kids, we'd play and argue for hours over a baseball parlor game called "Carl Hubbell's Strike 3" -- creating teams, keeping scorecards, standings and batting averages. The game, of course, disappeared 50 years ago in a Miami Beach trash can, until Harry came upon one three years ago at a cost of $200 at a collector's show in Atlanta.

"Harry, what a wonderful act of kindness," I said.

"Well, send me a check and you'll get the game," he said

Our final conversation in his hospital room, the night before he died, was the kind brothers often have -- meaningful and deep (yeah, right).

"Harry, my short game stinks," I said.

"So does your long game," he replied. "But come back tomorrow and I'll give you a lesson."

I did, but he wasn't there.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Archived