Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN:Redskins Team Report: No momentum

TK

http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/ABN2918871.htm

Redskins Team Report: No momentum

Washington Redskins Week 13 Team Report

(Sports Network) - With their playoff aspirations essentially out the door, the Redskins will attempt to play spoiler when they host the New Orleans Saints on Sunday at FedEx Field.

Washington is a team in turmoil after dropping a 24-23 decision to the Miami Dolphins last Sunday night. The Redskins actually owned a 13-point lead heading into the final stanza, but couldn't hold on for the win.

"I apologize to the Redskin fans out there," Steve Spurrier said. "Our team has not achieved what we thought we were capable of this year. If anybody deserves most of the blame, it should be me. I'm the head coach. My record is 4-7. Playoffs are very unrealistic right now, but we're going to play out our season with our best players and try to win every game we play."

Patrick Ramsey's health continues to be a question mark for the Redskins heading into Sunday's contest. Ramsey, who is already bothered by a nagging foot injury, added a concussion to his long list of maladies in last week's loss to Miami. The young signal caller will likely be listed as questionable for this contest.

"Patrick's foot was bothering him again Monday," Spurrier said. "In Sunday's game, he sort of got his head [pushed] into the ground in the first quarter and that's the reason he had to come out.

"But his foot problem is something that's really bothering him to the point where he cannot practice during the week. That hurts him also, not being able to take all the snaps in practice."

Ramsey was sent to the bench in the first half by the Dolphins, giving Tim Hasselbeck a chance. Hasselbeck, who was signed just a few weeks ago to replace Rob Johnson, performed well considering the circumstances. Outside of an interception, Hasselbeck's numbers were solid as he completed 15-of-30 passes for 150 yards and a score.

"I thought Tim made some real good decisions back there," said Spurrier. "He showed a lot of moxie. I thought he picked out his receivers well. I think the more he plays, the better he will become."

PROTECTING THE QUARTERBACK

The Washington offensive line, which has surrendered a league-high 34 sacks, gets a bit of break when Hasselbeck is on the field as he is more athletic than Ramsey. Hasselbeck has the ability to elude the rush and run at times, while Ramsey is more like a statue in the pocket.

Washington has a key injury along the offensive line with starting left tackle Chris Samuels suffering from a sprained medial collateral ligament. Samuels is expected to miss two weeks which will force Brandon Winey into action. For depth, the Redskins have signed former New England Patriots starting right tackle Kenyatta Jones.

Winey may have a tough time dealing with Saints defensive end Darren Howard, who is coming off an excellent game against the Eagles. Howard had a pair of sacks, five tackles and a pair of pass deflections in the backfield. Look for the Redskins to flank Winey with a tight end to help him block Howard.

UP NEXT: Washington hits the road to face the New York Giants next week.

Archived