Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Book(s) are you currently reading?

Riggo-toni

On 6/27/2017 at 10:05 AM, Fan since a Fetus said:

Yeah, the Dresden files are next on the list. I've been told by close friends that they are better, but your comment doesn't give me confidence.

I have to try and restore that confidence.

I am a book snob and a voracious reader (usually around 30k words per day).

The Dresden Files is one of the best series I have ever read.

Theres a catch, though. They were Butcher's first attempts at writing, and even he admits he sucked in the beginning. Power through the first 3 books (which aren't bad stories, just not well-written) and things get insane. They're light, short books, so it shoudnt be a slog. 

The series is exceptionally plotted. The books, after the third, are also exceptionally plotted. 

Changes is the most "hooollllllyyyyy %]€{" book I've read in fiction. And yes, I'm including GRRM. It took me days to unblow my mind after finishing it.

I have made this same recommendation to several people, always with the stipulation that the first 3 books are just the price of admission to the biggest, best urban fantasy party imaginable. Butcher's rabid fans are the way we are because he really is *that* good.

Just not for about 200k words or so.

(and re: Codex, I agree - same with his steampunk. He's only cut out for first-person page turners.)

18 hours ago, drtdrums said:

I have made this same recommendation to several people, always with the stipulation that the first 3 books are just the price of admission to the biggest, best urban fantasy party imaginable. Butcher's rabid fans are the way we are because he really is *that* good.

All of this is great to know.  I have the first six Dresden Files so I figured I would at least get through them. I just recently became a serious reader, but I am very picky already.

Archived