Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Thursday's Quotes From Redskins Park

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/2003/trainingcamp/quotes27.htm

Thursday's Quotes From Redskins Park

Fred Smoot | John Simon | Champ Bailey

Compiled by Gene Wang

washingtonpost.com Correspondent

Web Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003; 4:41 p.m. ET

Fred Smoot

Q: What are your thoughts going into this week's game after such a close loss?

A: I'm a real sore loser. I get to the point where I won't say anything to you. Luckily we talk to you all two to three days later after the loss so I'm cooled off by that time. But I'm a real sore loser. I hate losing. It's frustrating.

Q: Can you gauge the mood of the team?

A: You can't read everybody, but I think after practice I'll have a better feel of everybody. But I know on the defensive side of the ball, we still feel like we've got a lot to prove, and we're going to go out there and try to prove it every Sunday.

Q: Do you still have the belief in the coaching staff and what they're asking you to do?

A: Yeah, I do because I don't think anyone gives our coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. They're young. They have a group of guys they're not familiar with. People want everything to happen overnight. It ain't going to happen overnight. You can't just put a group of people together and tell them to go do this and think it's going to happen overnight. You've got to let it grow. I'm sorry, but they're not going to put a Super Bowl team together just like this. You've got to let it grow. You've got to let the coaches stay here and learn what to do right. I think you've just got to be patient. Everybody is jumping the gun too quick, if you ask me.

Q: Are you hoping that there are not plans to overhaul everything and start new?

A: Why would you? I've been here three years, and they've blown up everything at the end of every year. Blew up at the end of Marty [schottenheimer]. Blew up at the end of last year. It was Spurrier's first year. I'm glad we didn't lose more than that, but still I think you've got to be patient. You've got to let the grass grow.

John Simon

Q: What are your thoughts about your role on the team?

A: Being at home eight weeks every Sunday watching NFL football and now having an opportunity to actually be back in the facility, around the guys, and actually being a part of the team, that's great. That's motivation itself.

Q: What's your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

A: Probably just old school turkey and dressing. I don't need anything fancy. Just turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce.

Q: How many helpings do you have?

A: I'm going to try to cut back this year. I'm going to try to watch my weight. But usually I get about two.

Q: Do you leave anything for anyone else?

A: Yeah, I leave a little bit for the kids, the family, the wife. But they know it's my day on Thanksgiving.

Champ Bailey

Q: What are your thoughts on the Saints?

A: They've got a lot of playmakers on that team. Deuce McAllister can run on you, catch on you, take it the distance. They got Joe Horn, a couple of young guys in there.

Q: What does Horn do best?

A: I think he's just a competitor. He isn't the fastest guy. He isn't the strongest guy. He isn't the biggest guy, but when he plays, he plays like he is.

Q: What are your thoughts about facing a third straight tough running back in a row?

A: It never stops. They said we had a tough schedule when the season started, and it's showing up.

Q: Is stopping McAllister your first priority?

A: Oh yeah. He makes that team go. They've got a lot of weapons, but he is the main guy, so you slow him down, contain him, you've got a better chance of winning.

Q: Is McAllister's style similar to either of the two running backs you've faced the past two games?

A: Maybe when he runs the ball, but he catches well out of the backfield, and he's explosive. He's bound to make a big run anytime.

Archived