Extremeskins

Skins.com:Hasselbeck Could Get Starting Nod

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12315

Hasselbeck Could Get Starting Nod

11/27/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

With quarterback Patrick Ramsey still hobbling on his injured right foot, Tim Hasselbeck could make his first NFL start in Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints.

HasselbeckThrow_Title.jpg

Ramsey said Thursday that he is still holding out hope that he'd be able to play. He has a bruised bone in his foot, the result of what is thought to be an old injury, that continues to be sore. He does not expect to practice on Friday.

"I'm hoping I can [play in Sunday's game]," he said. "My foot would have to heal up for me to be able to play."

Said head coach Steve Spurrier: "Patrick has not done anything this week. He’s very doubtful. Tim has done all the practicing with Gibran Hamdan, so there’s a good chance Gibran will be our second quarterback if Patrick’s not ready to play."

Hasselbeck, who joined the Redskins in late October, saw his first significant regular-season NFL action last Sunday in the 24-23 loss to the Miami Dolphins. He was 15-of-30 for 150 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Spurrier continues to be impressed with Hasselbeck's rapid development.

"Tim's doing very well," Spurrier said. "He’s obviously a very smart young man to pick up our offense as quickly as he has."

Spurrier said the team would make a final decision on Friday or Saturday as to whether to elevate Hamdan from the practice squad. The team would have to release a player from the 53-man roster to do so.

Hamdan said Thursday that he is preparing this week as he normally would. With Ramsey unable to practice, he has received more reps the last two weeks.

"As in past weeks when there might have been a chance for me to move up, I'm going through my business and trying to learn the game plan if I am called upon," Hamdan said.

Backs Are Back

Running backs Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright practiced Thursday and are expected to be able to play in Sunday's game against New Orleans. It will be the first time since early October that the Redskins will have their full collection of running backs available to play.

"We get two of them back this week," Spurrier said. "It's going to be tough to get carries for the other guys, but right now Ladell and Trung Canidate are scheduled to do most of the playing."

Spurrier said Canidate would "probably start, just because he's been starting. But Ladell's ready to play."

Betts has missed the last four games with a fractured left forearm, while Cartwright has sat out the last two with a sprained ankle.

Chad Morton did not practice Thursday so that he could rest his sprained ankle, but Spurrier said he is expected to be able to play Sunday.

Spurrier said if Morton's ankle is 100 percent, he'll return punts and kickoffs. Patrick Johnson has served as the primary punt and kickoff returner the last few games.

Archived