Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Network:Dolphins Team Report: Who will be under center?

TK

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10551650&BRD=1710&PAG=740&dept_id=353124&rfi=6

Dolphins Team Report: Who will be under center?

11/21/2003

(Sports Network) - The decision that will determine who will be the starting quarterback for the Dolphins against the Washington Redskins Sunday night may be held off until gameday.

Miami's first-team offense has gone nine consecutive quarters and an overtime without a touchdown with Brian Griese under center. If Jay Fiedler's sprained knee is deemed healthy enough, he will replace Griese. "Obviously, I still have to worry about taking a hit," Fiedler said on Wednesday. "And there are still some movements that I didn't do today - like escaping the pocket and getting out - that I still need to test out before getting out there on game day." Miami barely managed to get back in the win column last week, edging Baltimore 9-6 in overtime. Olindo Mare accounted for all the Dolphins' points with three field goals, including the game-winning 43-yarder in the extra frame. The one bright spot for the Miami offense was Ricky Williams, who rushed 36 times for 105 yards (2.9 ypc). Williams' numbers weren't all that impressive, but the fact that the Dolphins stuck with the run was a positive. The University of Texas product reached the 100-yard plateau for the first time since Week 3. Miami has been extremely inconsistent running the ball this season due to the lack of continuity along the offensive line. The Dolphins have had a different starting line seemingly every week. Currently, starting guards Jamie Nails (left ankle) and Todd Perry (right elbow) are questionable for this game, while center Tim Ruddy (knee) is probable. If Nails and Perry can't go, Seth McKinney and Greg Jerman would start at the guard spots. The Dolphins have slipped to 10th in the AFC in rushing, averaging 3.7 yards per carry. Miami must stick to the run in this game to take some pressure off either Fiedler or Griese in this contest. POOR PASSING Miami's passing attack leaves plenty to be desired, as it is ranked 15th in the AFC and 28th in the league (184.5 ypg). Griese's numbers over the last two games have been atrocious with him completing just 18-of-59 passes for 257 yards, four interceptions and no touchdowns. The Miami native has amassed a 34.1 average quarterback rating in the two contests. Despite the likelihood that he'll return to the bench, Griese continues to prepare for Washington. "I'm going to go out and prepare like I am going to play," Griese said. The Dolphins' receivers can't seem to shed their defenders on a regular basis, forcing Griese to sit in the pocket too long. In fact, Miami's wide receivers mustered just six total catches last week. Chris Chambers was the only one to stand out with four receptions for 34 yards. In dire need of a spark plug in the receiving corps, the Dolphins have re- signed Oronde Gadsden to a one-year contract. The club had reached an injury settlement with Gadsden on September 5 after he sustained an ankle injury in training camp. "We signed Oronde back because we felt he could add some experience to our receiver position," said Wannstedt. "He's thinner now than he's probably been in the last five years. He's in really good shape." UP NEXT: The Dolphins begin a two-game road trip in Dallas next week.

©The Herald News 2003

Archived