Extremeskins

Skins.com:Betts, Moore Doubtful; Cartwright Questionable

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12278

Betts, Moore Doubtful; Cartwright Questionable

11/19/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Running back Ladell Betts is listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against Miami and said on Wednesday that he was still recovering from his fractured left forearm. Fellow running back Rock Cartwright is listed as questionable with a sprained ankle, but was more optimistic that he’d be able to play on Sunday.

“I think I’ll be able to play,” Cartwright said. “I just have to make sure I get it properly taped. I don’t see [the sprained ankle] affecting me at all. Pretty much all of the swelling has gone down.”

The status for Betts is less certain, however. He underwent X-rays of his forearm on Tuesday.

“Ladell’s arm is not completely healed yet,” head coach Steve Spurrier said. “He’s doubtful.”

Said Betts: “They told me it’s still too much of a risk for me to play. I’m eager to get back out there. It gets frustrating. Every week, I come in here hoping for some good news. It does feel better, but I know my body and I can kind of feel it’s not ready yet.”

The Redskins’ tailback situation is uncertain at this point. Spurrier said that Trung Canidate would likely start Sunday’s game, although John Simon, Chad Morton and possibly Cartwright could see action as well. Running back Sultan McCullough has healed enough from his fractured hand to be removed from the team’s injury report.

Meantime, center Larry Moore is listed as doubtful for the game with a sprained foot. He did not practice on Wednesday, but tested his injury by jogging lightly off to the side of the practice field.

If Moore is unable to play, Lennie Friedman is expected to start at center for the third game in a row. Complete Injury Report

Cornerback Rashad Bauman, who has missed the last three games with a sprained ankle, is listed as questionable for Sunday’s game. He returned to practice on Wednesday.

“I’ve been testing my ankle and seeing how it feels,” Bauman said. “I practiced a little bit today, it held up pretty well, and we’ll see if I can go a little bit more Thursday and Friday.”

Also listed as questionable for Sunday’s game are Jermaine Haley (sprained shoulder, hand injury), Andre Lott (sprained ankle) and Morton (sprained ankle).

“Chad did not practice—he took the day off with his ankle,” Spurrier said. “He should be ready to go by the weekend.”

Quarterback Patrick Ramsey is also listed as questionable for the game with a bruised bone in his right foot. He said Wednesday that he expects to be able to play in Sunday’s game, however.

If the injury lingers for the remainder of the year, it’s possible that Ramsey could have off-season surgery, team officials said.

Spurrier To Resume Play-Calling

Spurrier said Wednesday that he wants to resume most of the play-calling and to relay plays into the quarterback during games. Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson took over the bulk of play-calling in the Seattle and Carolina games.

“I just need to be more involved,” Spurrier said. “I stepped back and watched it a little while. Hue did an excellent job, but I need to be talking to the quarterback and you can have a conversation with him in between plays. Hue will still be very involved in the play-calling. Together we’ll get it done.”

Said Jackson: “Before the Seattle game, I went and asked coach Spurrier for this opportunity and he said, ‘Yes. Go run with it for a while.’ I knew at some point in time he might say, ‘Hue, I want to get back in and call plays.’ I’m not concerned. I want to do whatever I can do to help the team win."

Spurrier said that Jackson would likely remain on the sidelines instead of returning to the coach's booth because Jackson provides added energy and enthusiasm on the field during games.

Archived