Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam Huff custody battle in court

Lombardi's_kid_brother

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/leesburg/sam-huff-custody-battle-in-court/319495681

LEESBURG, VA (WUSA9) - It's no secret that the legendary linebacker, hall of famer and former Redskin Sam Huff has dementia. But a feud over his care landed in Loudoun County Court after friends accused his daughter of kidnapping him. 

In a Walter Cronkite 1960 news clips, the handsome 26-year-old Giants linebacker talks about the violent world on the grid iron.

“It's either kill or be killed," Huff told the camera.

After retiring from playing football, Sam Huff became a beloved Redskins announcer. Huff, now almost 82, has dementia that's either Alzheimer’s or encephalopathy caused by all those blows to the head.

"It's been an emotional situation, for all of us," said longtime friend Gordon Keys, who teared up thinking about his old friend's situation.         

About 20 friends of Sam Huff were in court to support Huff's girlfriend, Carol Holden, with whom he has lived with on his horse farm in Middleburg for the past 30 years.

Until last March.

That's when Sam Huff's daughter Catherine Huff picked him up for an alleged dentist appointment and never brought him back. She took him to her Alexandria home to live with her and her mother, who is her father's ex-wife.

Catherine said her father thought his ex-wife was his mother, and is very confused in general.

These parental issues are sometimes uglier than child custody battles, because 50 years of bad blood suddenly comes out at once. I hope this works out for Sam. I hope he no longer drives.

(I've told this before, but in the 80s, my dad used to call Marriott's customer service department and claim to be Sam Huff's college roommate when something would go wrong with a reservation).

Archived