Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Analyzing our Week 1 Rushing Game

Thinking Skins

Take a look at this analysis. It shows how our defense did by region of the field.

Left End: 7 runs , 67 yards, 9.57 ypc,
Tackles by [Foster, Hood-Breeland, Breeland-Compton, Compton, Breeland, 2TDs]

Left Tackle: 3 runs, 8 yards, 2.67 ypc,
Tackles by [Compton-Baker, Bruton-Reyes, Golston-Compton]

Left Guard: 3 runs, 17 yards, 5.67 ypc,
Tackles by [Norman-Foster, Foster*2]

Middle: 6 runs, 23 yards, 3.8 ypc,
Tackles by [Baker-Bruton, Hall-Foster, Reyes, Foster-Smith, Foster-Hood, Hall]

Right Guard: 2 runs, 11 yards, 5.5 ypc,
Tackles by [Bruton*2]

Right End: 5 runs, 17 yards, 3.4 ypc,
Tackles by [Golston-Baker, Smith-Foster, Bruton, Foster, Hall-Smith]

From this we can easily see that the problem was the outside runs to the left. I don't know who their LT is or who was playing the rihgt side of our defense (I notice that I don't see Kerrigan's name on this tackle list so maybe he was playing ROLB, but who was at RE?). This may be a direct reason why we brought in Jenkins though - to play the side opposite Baker (whose name came up on the runs to the Right End and up the middle). I should probably watch the game again to see if this spot was getting dominated this muhc.

I'm guessing that Reyes and Hood were playing RE and they were responsible for a large potion of the gap. The other thing is that most of these long runs were coming late in the game and on longer drives so maybe they were just winded.

The other areas of the field weren't good, but definitely weren't as glaring as 9.57 ypc. If we could have stopped that portion of the field, we might have been able to stop some of those drives. The thing to consider is whether or not Dallas runs similar runs, and whether or not Jenkins (if he plays, and if he plays that RE spot)

Archived