Extremeskins

Skins.com:Ramsey Fighting Through Foot Injury

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12268

Ramsey Fighting Through Foot Injury

11/17/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey has developed a bone bruise in his right foot and his availability for practice this week may be affected. Ramsey and the Redskins are coming off a 20-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers and are gearing up to play the Miami Dolphins next Sunday night.

The Redskins’ second-year quarterback said he thinks it’s an old injury—possibly suffered years ago—that has flared up in recent weeks.

“It’s something I’m trying to fight through,” Ramsey said Monday afternoon at Redskin Park. “It hurts today, but hopefully by the end of the week, I’ll be ready.”

Head coach Steve Spurrier said the injury could be a factor in how Ramsey sets up in the pocket and throws the ball.

“When he sets up on it sometimes, it [could be affecting] his ability to set up well,” Spurrier said. “Obviously, his footwork has been a little smoother than it’s been lately.”

Said Ramsey: “It’s hard to push off my back foot and it’s hard to push my hips. We do all we can to support it and just go on.”

Protecting Ramsey in the pocket has been a challenge this season. He has been sacked 29 times.

“He’s been hit an awful lot and our protection has been pretty good at times but not all the time,” Spurrier said.

In Sunday’s game against Carolina, Ramsey was 16-of-35 for 150 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He was sacked three times.

For the season, Ramsey has completed 178-of-333 passes for 2,159 yards, 14 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His quarterback rating is 76.4.

Archived