Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Press:Ex-Skin doesn't hold back

TK

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-11671sy0nov17,0,6997074.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Ex-Skin doesn't hold back

By Warner Hessler

Daily Press

Published November 17, 2003

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina running back Stephen Davis didn't light up his former team in a game that he had circled on his calendar since the schedules came out in the spring. He came in averaging 24 carries and 124 rushing yards, and he had to struggle to get 92 yards on 28 rushes.

But even on a day when he was mostly contained, the two-time Pro Bowl tailback did enough to get back at a coach who didn't want him for his pass-oriented offense, and an organization that never attempted to renegotiate a contract that was not salary-cap-friendly. Davis fumbled at his 25-yard line on his first carry of the game but did what he had done so many times for Washington. He was at his best in the fourth quarter. He ran seven times for 23 yards, caught a 15-yard pass that helped set up a field goal, caught a 25-yard pass on a fourth-and-1 situation and ran for the winning touchdown.

After spending the previous week insisting Washington was just another team on the schedule, a statement some of his teammates said was untrue, Davis finally admitted it was more than just another game.

"It was personal," he said. "I spent seven years of my career there, and I know a lot of people there. It was very personal. It was emotional, but I had to keep it in perspective. It was an important game, and I couldn't go out there and do anything foolish. At the beginning I was kind of nervous and fumbled on the first play, but I kept my focus."

STOUT IN DEFEAT. Run defense hasn't been a Redskins strength this season, especially in the middle of the line, and especially lately. Washington had allowed 640 rushing yards in its previous four games before Carolina. But the tackles stood their ground Sunday, plugged their gaps, made some tackles and kept Davis from getting a head of steam.

"Credit should be spread around, but especially to the defensive tackles," said defensive tackle Martin Chase. "We had been taking a lot of flak lately, and we talked a lot this week about stepping up in a big game against a guy like Davis."

ROCK'S MISCUE. Redskins fullback Rock Cartwright insisted he was the reason his team lost, and none of his teammates could talk him out of it. On third-and-goal from the Panthers' 2-yard line in the first quarter, Cartwright was headed for the end zone when defensive tackle Brentson Buckner knocked the ball from his arms and fellow defensive tackle Shane Burton covered it to end the threat.

"I don't know what to say except I fumbled and cost us the game," Cartwright said. "I take a lot of the blame because I let a lot of people down."

Redskins coach Steve Spurrier found a bit of irony in the fact the officials ruled Cartwright fumbled before he crossed the goal line but did not do the same when Davis lost the ball near the goal line in the final minutes. "It came down to a game with two running backs getting into the end zone; one fumbled and one didn't fumble," Spurrier said. "It ended being two big plays in the game, and we were on the bad end of both of them."

QUICK KICKS. Bruce Smith, who needs one sack to become the NFL's all-time leader, had three solo tackles but didn't come close to sacking Jake Delhomme. ... Kicker John Kasay had been perfect this season - 21-for-21 on field goals and 14-for-14 on extra points - before coming up short on a 47-yard attempt late in the second quarter. ... The Redskins, who have struggled with penalties all year, were not assessed any, though a holding call was declined.

Archived