Extremeskins

Skins.com:Post-Game Quotes, Redskins-Panthers

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12263

Post-Game Quotes, Redskins-Panthers

11/16/2003

HEAD COACH STEVE SPURRIER

Opening Statement:

“It came down to two running backs going into the end zone and one fumbled and one didn’t fumble. Those were two big plays in the game and we were on the bad end of both of them. I told our guys that a lot of guys played their hearts out today and really played with a lot of effort and courage, but it didn’t work out for us. Some of our guys didn’t play all that well, but overall we had real good team effort.”

On the offense:

“We were able to finally get some things going in the second half, but we really were stopped in the first half. We had a chance to win, but give Carolina credit, they seem to come from behind and win every one of [these types of games]—and they did it again. They get in position to win and they went on down and scored. Give them credit—they’re a real good team.”

On Stephen Davis’s 1-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter:

”The last I saw, the ball had not crossed. They stopped it right there. I don't know. When it is that close, the refs usually don't change it. It's whatever they call on the field. That's the way it happened.”

On whether he felt the wrong call was made:

"No. There's nothing we can do about that."

On Rock Cartwright’s fumble at the goal line in the first quarter:

“I wish Rock had held on to the ball on the first drive. Obviously that was a seven-point play. You can only be concerned with what you have some control over. We need to hang on to the ball a little bit better in those situations.”

On whether he went away from running Rock Cartwright after the fumble:

“He didn’t get too many. I think he was in there some later. It seemed like Trung Canidate was in there a lot. Of course, that was a drive-stopper when we had that pitch that he didn’t handle. But the guys played with a lot of effort and that’s all you can ask for.”

On the scoring opportunities early in the game:

“We had a lot of opportunities early in the game to get some points. We got three points, but we had a chance for more. We were able to come back and take the lead in the fourth quarter, but we didn’t hold on to it.”

On the fourth-and-one play in which Jake Delhomme scored a touchdown:

“We were in man coverage. We lost him somewhere in the play action.”

On Stephen Davis’s performance:

“I haven’t looked at the stats yet. But Stephen’s having a wonderful year, we all know that. I don’t know if he had his best game today, or if it was so-so. That’s not for me to judge. He’s an excellent back, we all know that. He’s a big factor in Carolina being 8-2, of course.”

On Patrick Ramsey’s struggles in the first half:

“There was some pressure on him and the wind picked up. At the start of the game, it seemed like the wind really kicked in. It was about the windiest game we’ve had—it died down a little bit toward the end of the game. We had the wind in the fourth quarter and that’s what was making us feel pretty good [about the team’s chances of winning]. John Hall kicked it into the end zone once and his other one made it close to the goal line. But they drove it about 70 yards and they scored. So that’s what happened.”

On Carolina’s defensive line:

“They have a good front four. They gave us a lot of trouble. They have good linebackers, too.”

On where the team stands at this point in the season:

“We just have to get ready for the Miami Dolphins [next week]. That’s about all we can worry about right now. Our record is what it is. We can’t change it. We’ll try to get ready and win one next week. Again, we played with a lot of effort in this game. We didn’t play extremely well at times, especially on offense early. We had a chance to win but it didn’t work out.”

On whether he feels he can rely on his running backs:

“There wasn’t much room for them to run. Give Carolina credit. Their defensive front four and their linebackers are pretty strong. We didn’t have a lot of room up there.”

On whether he was involved in the play-calling:

“I just made little suggestions here and there.”

DARNERIEN MCCANTS (WR, #85)

On the offense gaining confidence in the second half:

“Definitely. When we get that confidence in ourselves, that’s when we can come out and fight. But it’s a pattern we have to stop. We need to start from the beginning and play better earlier.”

On what the outlook is for the team:

“We were trying to look at this game as a sprint toward the playoffs. But there’s no margin for error now.”

On the defense getting four turnovers and the offense not being able to convert:

“That was tough. Our offense is still sputtering. We need to put together a good full game. It’s something we still need to work on. We made changes, but we’re still coming up short.”

On Stephen Davis’s performance:

“His stats and what he does speaks for itself.”

PATRICK RAMSEY (QB, #11)

On what started to click for him in the second half:

“We just started getting guys open and we had time to throw the ball. Guys were making great catches out there.”

On the first half and what the Panthers did defensively:

“They weren’t doing anything in particular other than they were getting some pressure.”

On whether the wind was a factor in his play:

“No. It would be easier to tell you guys that, but no, it didn't. It was a lot windier this week when we were practicing than it was out there today.”

On the Panthers’ pressure from the front four:

“They did a good job. You know a lot of times you don't know who it is that's getting pressure on you. I mean, you look up and assume, but you're trying to get the ball downfield, and you're trying to look through those guys, so sometimes when the blitz comes, you see guys those guys, but even so sometimes when they blitz, there are other guys getting pressure. I think they did a good job. Obviously, the got some pressure on me. They're big, they're strong and they're fast.”

On whether he is frustrated:

“It’s the height of frustration as far as football is concerned, especially when you have opportunities to win football games. It’s one thing when a team comes in and beats you—which they did a great job—but we had a lot of opportunities to win and it’s the height of frustration knowing we had the opportunity to do so.”

JON JANSEN (RT, #76)

On the offense's improvement in the second half:

"We just adjusted to some of the things they were doing, and we were able to make some plays. We were able to get some momentum, and we really had some things going for us in the second half."

On the Panthers' defensive line:

"They are a very good unit. What makes them a good unit is that they play together. You don't see Randy Thomas and I get beat on a twist very much, and they ran a twist on us and got us, and you've got to give credit to them."

Archived