Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FreelanceStar:Panthers aim for breakthrough

TK

http://www.freelancestar.com/News/FLS/2003/112003/11162003/1168365

Panthers aim for breakthrough

Carolina is 0-6 against the Redskins, but hasn't had Stephen Davis on its side before.

By ADAM HIMMELSBACH

Date published: 11/16/2003

ASHBURN--If there's ever been a year for the Carolina Panthers to arrive and conquer, this appears to be it.

In six tries, they've never beaten the Washington Redskins. The teams last met in 2001, with the Redskins overcoming a 14-0 fourth-quarter deficit to take a 17-14 overtime victory.

But these are not the same Panthers that finished 1-15 that season. John Fox took over as the head coach last season and led the Panthers to a 7-9 mark.

This year Carolina is off to a 7-2 start and holds a three-game lead in the NFC South entering today's home tilt with the Redskins (4-5).

"Our personnel department has done an outstanding job and I think we're a proven product," Fox said on Wednesday. "But we're still a work in progress."

Carolina's success has been predicated on the running of Stephen Davis. The Stephen Davis whom the Redskins released last year after seven seasons. The Stephen Davis who leads the NFC with 992 rushing yards this season.

"The [Redskins] made a business decision to let me go," Davis said on Wednesday. "I'm not mad at anyone. I'm just happy that I'm getting an opportunity here in Carolina and I'm going out and making the best of it."

Having dealt with the 230-pound Davis in practice for several years, the Redskins know what to expect.

"You've just got to get everybody to the ball, because for one guy to bring him down is a big task," safety Ifeanyi Ohalete said. "If you're able to get two or three guys hitting him and pounding on his legs, it's going to be a lot easier to bring him down."

Davis missed the Panthers' 27-24 win over Tampa Bay last week with an ankle injury, but is listed as probable this week and expects to play today.

Davis' good friend and pupil, Rock Cartwright, could get his first career start at tailback this afternoon for the Redskins. He ran for 81 yards on 13 carries in last week's 27-20 victory over the Seattle Seahawks while Trung Canidate was ineffective after returning from an injury.

"It's not just about playing well in one game," Cartwright said. "You have to be consistent and do it game after game."

Whoever starts in the backfield will be guided by offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.

Last week, Redskins coach Steve Spurrier handed the play-calling reins to Jackson for the first time, and said Jackson will call the plays against the Panthers as well.

With Jackson calling the plays, Spurrier has said he'll pay more attention to the defense.

"That's what a head coach is supposed to do," Redskins linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said, "spend time with both sides of the ball and make sure guys are playing their assignments and focusing."

With last week's victory, the Redskins find themselves back on the fringe of the NFC playoff picture.

"Our backs are against the wall from here on out," offensive lineman Chris Samuels said. "We've created this mess and we've just got to dig ourselves out of it."

With a Dec. 14 home date against the Dallas Cowboys as a possible exception, today's game is arguably the most difficult remaining on the Redskins' slate.

They were expecting to see a constant and crunching blitz against the Seahawks last week, but Seattle surprisingly showed more laid-back sets.

It may be no coincidence that Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey was not sacked and the Redskins receivers had time to break downfield for the first time in weeks.

The Panthers, presumably, will be coming after Ramsey from the start.

"I think everybody feels they have a plan against a blitzing defense," Fox said. "Everybody's capable, you just have to execute and win one-on-one matchups."

To reach ADAM HIMMELSBACH: 540/374-5442 ahimmelsbach@freelancestar.com

Archived