Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers.com:Cajun up with Jake: Confidence

TK

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=9848

Cajun up with Jake: Confidence

November 13, 2003

Panthers.com

On Wednesday's practice: It was nice, especially for the big guys, not to have to go out in pads. But we just need to keep on working. We had a bad taste in our mouths after last week coming out on Wednesday. I think we learned a good lesson in Houston, to be honest with you. This team sees that we can do some good things. We just need to stay after it. In this League, you have to be ready every week. We're facing a team that had a bye week and then came back with a win, playing pretty well against a team that was leading its division in Seattle. We have a tough matchup.

0924jakepoint.jpg

On winning without running back Stephen Davis last week: I think it gave us a lot (of confidence). Certainly we would have loved to have him, but who knows what this did for us in the long run? Not only for myself, but for the receivers, DeShaun (Foster), the line, the defense, and the coaches. Stephen has been our guy, and we had him every game up until then. I'm sure there were question marks, but the guys who played all stepped up, and that can only do good things for your team.

On whether he opened some eyes on the coaching staff with his performance: Yes and no. We want to run the ball. That's known, and that's what we hang our hat on. But we feel that given the opportunity we can do some good things in the passing game. We've done it a couple of times now. I kind of wish we wouldn't have been in that situation Sunday, but we answered. That's the biggest thing. We came back and we answered, and the defense came up with a huge stop. I think it just says something about this team.

On the Redskins defense: They have a lot of big names on that defense. They have two very good corners in Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot. The three linebackers are extremely good, and they added Darrell Russell on the defensive line. They played a lot better versus Seattle. They were down 14-3 early on, and then all of a sudden they shut Seattle down for the rest of the game. We know what they can do offensively. They do have some weapons and a pretty good young quarterback. We'd like to run it and when we throw it be efficient in the passing game.

On the Panthers having more confidence in their passing game: We're not a team like St. Louis from a few years ago where they just come out and score and attack and pull away from you. We're going to have to fight you to the end. That's us. That's our nature and that's how we prepare and practice. That's how it's going to be week in and week out. We know that people are going to be gunning for us but we're gunning for them, too, because we set ourselves up pretty good and we want to keep on doing the right things. Hopefully, we'll set ourselves up for the ultimate goal, and that's the playoffs.

On whether he thinks Stephen Davis will play this week: Stephen is so quiet. I thought he was going to go last week. Stephen just goes about his business and works hard. I'm assuming he really wants to go, so we'll see. If he can't go, then I know DeShaun is going to be chomping at the bit again.

On having fun this season: I'm having a lot of fun. Winning makes everything fun. I'm having a good time with it. We're working hard, and I think that's the beauty of it. All the hard work and effort and preparation that we put in is coming through on Sundays. There is nothing better than that.

On if he thinks he is improving: I think I am. I'm getting more experience and more comfortable. That's going to be my battle cry week in and week out. Just try to improve and do the best I can.

On whether Steve Smith is becoming his favorite target: I like throwing to (Muhsin Muhammad), too. And I like throwing to Ricky (Proehl). And I threw to (Karl Hankton) in the two-minute drive. I don't discriminate. If someone is open, I'm going to get them the ball. Smitty is a special talent, especially with the ball in his hands. If we can get him the ball, he can make things happen. But we also have a former Pro Bowler in Moose and a guy who has made catch after catch for years in Ricky Proehl. I have confidence in all of them.

Archived