Extremeskins

Panthers.com:Teammates watch Davis closely

TK

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=9863

Teammates watch Davis closely

November 13, 2003

By Brett Borden

Panthers.com

Jake Delhomme would like to hand off to Davis several times this Sunday.

1113delhommedavis.jpg

Kevin Donnalley blocks for Stephen Davis earlier this season versus New Orleans.

1113donnalleydavisin.jpg

If Panthers running back Stephen Davis were given one yard every time he has been asked about his ankle in the last two weeks, Eric Dickerson's single-season rushing record would probably be shattered.

While Davis remains mostly mum on the ankle injury that caused him to miss last week's game versus Tampa Bay, his teammates have picked up the slack. Davis has practiced this week and says he will play Sunday against the Washington Redskins.

"He looked good," said Panthers safety Mike Minter. "He was cutting. He had that burst of speed that we're used to seeing.

"This game means everything. He spent most of his career there. Coming here in the situation that he did, I think it means a lot to him. We're going to go out there and do everything we can to make him feel good about this game."

Guard Kevin Donnalley will be one of the linemen opening holes for Davis should he play. He says the Panthers may have won last week without Davis in the backfield, but if they play many more without him, they would be pressing their luck.

"You might be able to get by a game or two without him, like we did last week, but we need him back there," said Donnalley. "He's been a huge part of our total offense for the year. He's very important. We need him back."

Perhaps no one would be happier to see him back than quarterback Jake Delhomme. Handing off to number 48 is one of Delhomme's favorite things to do. He says he can't get a good read on whether Davis will be able to play this Sunday.

"Stephen is so quiet," said Delhomme. "I thought he was going to go last week. Stephen just goes about his business and works hard. I'm assuming he really wants to go, so we'll see. If he can't go, then I know (backup) DeShaun (Foster) is going to be chomping at the bit again."

Minter and Donnalley say that with Davis' former team coming to Ericsson Stadium, he will find a way to be out there.

"It's probably going to take someone coming in and cutting off his legs to keep him from playing," said Minter. "He really wants to play in this game. I don't blame him. I would, too. Hopefully, he comes back and has a big day."

"He did everything he could last week to get in the game," said Donnalley. "It was a game time decision. I think he's going no matter what. I'm not a trainer, though."

Originally posted by RF4L

Redskins are going to win. I can feel it.

30-17.

Having had our share of Miss Cleo's lately, I'm interested in why you feel the skins will win. I see advantages to the Panthers in Defense and Special Teams. Offense is a push. If Ramsey gets protection edge to skins, if Panthers don't show some new stuff and keep the rush limited to the front four, and he gets time, he can damage our secondary.

Archived