Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:For Vick, Return to Practice Is a 'Joy'

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33620-2003Nov12.html

Falcons' Michael Vick, out since Aug. 16 with a broken leg, practiced but won't play Sunday.

I34251-2003Nov12L

For Vick, Return to Practice Is a 'Joy'

By George Henry

Special to The Washington Post

Thursday, November 13, 2003; Page D06

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga., Nov. 12 -- Michael Vick missed football so much that he couldn't sleep Tuesday night.

The Atlanta Falcons' quarterback, out since Aug. 16 with a broken right fibula, told Coach Dan Reeves on Tuesday morning that he was ready to return to practice.

"We went out in the walk-throughs this morning and I asked him, 'How do you feel?' and he said, 'Coach, I couldn't sleep last night I was so excited to come out and start practicing,' " Reeves said. "That's what showed up -- the excitement that he had all day long."

Vick, 23, all but ruled out any chance he would dress, even as the emergency No. 3 quarterback, when the Falcons (2-7) visit New Orleans (4-5) this weekend. Even so, Vick, who last year set four NFL records for rushing by a quarterback, took an important first step.

"I've been through a lot the last two months -- a lot of rehab and watching these guys struggle, watching my team struggle," Vick said. "You know, just to come out and practice today was just a joy for me."

In snapping a seven-game losing streak with a 27-7 road victory over the New York Giants, Atlanta rediscovered its rushing attack as Warrick Dunn produced the NFC's second-best, single-game effort this year with 178 yards. The Falcons' offense, though, ranks 29th in total yardage, last in third-down percentage and tied for the NFL lead with 14 in interceptions.

Kurt Kittner, a fifth-round draft pick last year from Illinois, will make his fourth straight start despite completing only 41.4 percent of 87 passes for two touchdowns and four interceptions. Against the Giants, though, the Atlanta offense played its first game this year without committing a turnover.

Kittner, who replaced the demoted Doug Johnson after a 36-0 loss at St. Louis four weeks ago, knows the Falcons will be pleased if he simply limits mistakes and makes good reads. His biggest task is to keep the ship afloat long enough for Vick's return either next week against Tennessee or Nov. 30 at Houston.

Vick moved slowly at times during the two-hour practice but never awkwardly. He chose not to run hard, though he indicated that he no longer felt limited in his ability to make hard cuts while running -- trademark moves that helped him rush for 777 yards last year and lead the Falcons to the second round of the playoffs.

"I can cut better to my left than I can to my right," Vick said. "And I'm trying to do some things so I can cut to my right better and get in position to make some moves going to each side."

He also never attempted to launch a long pass, working instead with receivers on short crossing routes and running backs on screens and slant patterns. In 15 regular season games last year, Vick completed 54.9 percent of 421 passes for 2,936 yards, 16 touchdowns and 8 interceptions.

"My timing is off," Vick said. "I haven't thrown a ball to a receiver running a route full-speed in two months, so the timing is definitely off. That's something that I have to work on."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Archived