Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers.com:Grant expecting the unexpected

TK

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=9854

Safety Deon Grant says the Panthers should expect the unexpected Sunday.

1113deonin.jpg

Grant expecting the unexpected

November 13, 2003

By Brett Borden

Panthers.com

Imagine you are a defensive back, and Sunday's game is against a team coached by Steve Spurrier.

Spurrier won't be throwing the ball. He won't be catching it or running with it, either. But chances are, sometime during the game, as one of the game's more offensively innovative head coaches he is going to bring out a play that you have never seen before. If you fall into the trap, you could give up a big play and look really bad doing it.

Case in point, the double pass that the Redskins used on fourth-and-inches late in the game last week that helped propel them to a victory over the Seattle Seahawks.

"He'll pull anything out of his bag at any time," said Panthers safety Deon Grant, who played against Spurrier's Florida teams while attending Tennessee from 1997-99 and will face him again when the Redskins visit Ericsson Stadium this Sunday. "Our main thing this week is to just stay focused."

It might seem like a pain for the defense to have to be on the lookout for trickery, but Grant says that's not necessarily so.

"If you get caught sleeping, it's a pain," he said. "But that's when the professionals come out. You have to stay disciplined, especially against these guys. You can lose focus against a team that's sticking to a game plan as far as running the ball every time on third down or passing on second-and-10, but (Spurrier) throws so many things at you that you have to stay focused on your coverage and your assignments on every play.

"The trick plays I really don't mind, because that's my type of game anyway."

The Panthers have never defeated the Redskins. For veteran players like Grant, it's something they are tired of hearing, but still not what they use to get themselves going on Sunday.

"We have a hunger in our heart and our mind anyway, regardless of who we're playing," said Grant. "We're looking at Washington as a team that's in our way as far as where we're trying to go.

"I didn't like Florida when I was in college at all but I just hope that we get a win out of it. I'm in the NFL now, so it would just be another win to me, because on Monday we have to watch film and forget about it."

There might be some interesting plays on those films next Monday. Grant and his teammates hope they are the stars of the show.

Case in point, the double pass that the Redskins used on fourth-and-inches late in the game last week that helped propel them to a victory over the Seattle Seahawks.

Oops.

Don't you just love it when they get stuff wrong? :)

Archived