Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers.com:From the Foxhole: Smith the sacker

TK

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=9852

From the Foxhole: Smith the sacker

November 13, 2003

Panthers.com

Comments from Carolina Panthers Head Coach John Fox following the team's practice.

On running back Stephen Davis: Stephen practiced. I thought he looked good. We will continue to evaluate him, but there were not setbacks today.

On defensive end Mike Rucker: Mike Rucker practiced again today. He is on target. He is taking it day-to-day and is listed as probable on the injury report. There were no setbacks and continues to look good.

On linebacker Lester Towns: He has got a little neck problem, and we held him out today just to rest it. We added him to the injury report as questionable and we will see how it feels tomorrow.

On if wide receiver Kevin Dyson will be added to the active roster this week: We are in the same mode right now. We are taking it one day at a time. He is progressing well and getting himself back in football shape and continuing to learn what we are doing.

On the play of wide receiver Steve Smith over the last five games: There has never been any question on his ability. He is an explosive guy. I think he proved that and earned that reputation as a return man, going to one Pro Bowl and having some big returns a year ago for us. Becoming a wide out, there is some exactness to playing the position, depths, splits, precision of routes and trust with the quarterback. I think he is just getting better every time he goes out, both in practice and in games. I think experience is why he is getting better all of the time.

On Redskins defensive end Bruce Smith, who needs one sack to be the NFL's all-time leader: He has had a great career and is ready to embark on something special. I am sure he is getting ready for this contest. He is still playing productive football. You don't make teams in this League without having some way to contribute. He has got a lot of tricks up his sleeve and he still plays the game with a lot of heart. I know I respect his abilities.

On blocking Smith: You better have your game face ready every time you line up to block somebody in this League, and he is definitely very capable of beating you if you are not ready to play. He is still very capable. In his prime, he was as dominant as they were. I saw him take over games. He had the great combination of size, speed and quickness. He was a very dominant force in the prime of his career.

Archived